Deep Six

Saturday, December 14, 2019

Yesterday - Friday the 13th - was an interesting day.

Not because it was Friday the 13th, but because of a conversation I had that took me by surprise - in more ways than one.

Curious? Follow along below the fold for more. :c)




It started innocuously enough.

The printer in my work area was undergoing routine maintenance, so I went to another around the corner.

While I was waiting for my documents, my colleague Y came in. He used to be seated just a few cubicles away, but after transferring to a new position he now sat on the other side of the office.

"Hey, Cass," he said. "How are you?"

"Hey, stranger," I said. "I'm good. And yourself? It's like I never see you anymore."

"I know. I feel the same way. Say, your hair looks nice. Did you just get it cut?"

"Thank you, but no, it's been a while. Quite a while, in fact."

"Oh, well, it looks good."

"Thank you again. Being a redhead was the right decision, I think," I said, smiling.

"You haven't always had this color?"

I was a bit puzzled. Y and I were quite friendly, and had been for some time before he moved.

"No," I replied. "You don't remember?"

Now it was his turn to look confused.

"Remember what?"

"You know... what it looked like before. What I looked like before."

Now he looked really confused.

"I'm sorry... before what?"

Then it dawned on me.

He doesn't know, I thought. Wow... he doesn't know.

I'd changed it the day I went full-time.

Which, I realized at that moment, was six years ago.

To the day:

Friday, December 13, 2013.

I could not believe I'd completely forgotten it.

Or that it had been that long ago.

Damn, I thought. That is amazing.

"How long have you worked here, Y?" I asked.

He thought for a moment.

"Let me see... believe it or not, I started five years ago last month."

November 2014. So he's only ever known me as Cassidy. And he's never had any reason in that time to think otherwise. Whoa.

I took a moment to marvel at how far I've come.

For most of my life I never dared dream that someone would know me as Cassidy without blinking an eye. But now it's not only my reality, it's so commonplace that I actually forgot that it was the anniversary of my introduction to the world as myself.

Snapping back to the present moment, I nodded to Y.

"Well, that explains it. I changed it the year before. It used to be dirty blonde. Or light brown, depending on who you asked."

He smiled.

"Well, I'm sure it looked good then too. But... I like you as a redhead."

I smiled back.

"So do I." :c)

***

Speaking of Friday, December 13, 2013, here I am:
Yes, I was briefly strawberry blonde. :c) I liked that color - but as mentioned above, I think I was meant to be a redhead. :-p
This is not my favorite time of year; the holidays are difficult for me, as they are for many of us. Unfortunately, I now associate Christmas with painful memories of betrayal, by both members of my family and others who I should have been able to count on. And who should have known better. 

That being said.... I wouldn't change anything. I'll survive this holiday season the way I have for every one over the past six years: as myself. And by being myself. And that's all I need.

***

In the spirit of the season, I thought I'd share a few holiday tunes.

What has turned out to be one of my very favorite Christmas albums came out last year - JD McPherson's Socks. It is hilarious, charming... and it rocks. I couldn't stop playing it last December, and this year is no different. 

We'll start with a terrific live version of the title track, a recounting of a traumatic, hosiery-related Christmas Eve from his childhood. Be sure to check out the lyrics - particularly the response vocals during the chorus. :c)

It's well-nigh impossible to pick a favorite song from the album, but "Bad Kid" might have the slightest of edges. It's his tale of a gloriously misspent youth - one that apparently started in the crib. ;c) This is a crackerjack live version from last December that showcases his outstanding band:

Do yourself a favor and pick this one up - preferably the vinyl version, as the album artwork is absolutely wonderful.

I'm not sure if folks outside the US can hear this, but JD and his band were on National Public Radio's Fresh Air program last December. Terry Gross conducted one of her typically insightful, fascinating interviews with them; even better, they performed seven tracks from the album. It's a really fun listen. Hope you like it!

A longtime favorite of mine, Los Lobos (and one of America's finest bands, imho), has released a wonderful Christmas album this year. Llegó Navidad is as eclectic and adventurous as you would expect from these gents, while the musicianship is as jaw-dropping as ever. Here's what is destined to become a holiday classic, sung by the incomparable David Hidalgo - "Christmas and You":

That will do it for now. Hope everyone is having a lovely holiday season. We need all of the brightness we can get in these dark times...

5 comments:

Calie on December 15, 2019 at 2:50 PM said...

Your story made me smile. Yes, you have come a long way Cass! Your hair does look fab! I love the bangs.

I messaged you a while back. Not sure if you ever saw it.

Oh, and I see a comment from Stace! Hi Stace!

Calie xx

Cassidy on December 15, 2019 at 8:32 PM said...

@Stace: Thank you, hon! Hope all is well with you and yours! :D

@Calie: Thank you very much! I did *not* see the message; I'll go look for it now. So sorry! Hope all is well with you out on the Left Coast. :c)

Hugs,
Cass

Stace on December 16, 2019 at 2:41 PM said...

Hi Calie! I've been missing a while, I guess I need to do a catchup post. Most of it is good :)

@Cass: yup, we're all good here thanks :)

Halle on December 16, 2019 at 5:59 PM said...

Miss C, my second-favourite redhead! Hehe So glad you abandoned the strawberry blonde.

Being with people who only know you as you ... PRICELESS!

Big Hug,
Halle xx

Cassidy on December 16, 2019 at 9:08 PM said...

Thank you, Miss H! My stylist gets all of the credit for the switch to being a redhead; it was her idea and her suggested color. :c)

Hope you and your very favorite redhead are having a lovely holiday season!

Hugs,
Cass

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada