A Cool Night

Tuesday, June 12, 2012


Just got back from dinner with M and wanted to share a few details. It can be interesting to see how others perceive you, and tonight was one of those times.

We spent most of dinner chatting about M's new job, which he started recently after a lengthy job search. He clearly made a good impression, as he's already received a promotion. 

This doesn't really come as a surprise; he's the most talented person I know. He picks things up with ease. Nonetheless, it's great to see him getting rewarded for his hard work.

We glossed over my work difficulties; as I've mentioned here, they're frustrating, but they'll come to an end at some point. In the interim, as I told M, it's helping me save money for my transition.

He asked what my next steps were, so I ran down the list: electrolysis (starting in a few weeks), work on my voice, and more, going into detail about what each entailed. 

I was describing how C and I planned to go clothes shopping in a few weeks in New York City to help me figure out my "look" (amazingly, even my sister thinks I have the right idea; wonders never cease!) when I noticed M smiling. I stopped.

"What's so funny?" I asked him.

"You," he said, still smiling. "You're so excited! I've never seen you so... optimistic."

"Really?" I replied, surprised.

"Really. You're obviously so, so happy. Even with everything going on in your life right now, it's like night and day. 

"You used to seem... well, there was a sadness that was always there, and that never went away, even when you were being funny and joking around. 

"But not anymore. It's obvious you're thrilled to finally be on the way to becoming who you're supposed to be. Good for you."

You can imagine how nice it was to hear something like that.

As we exited the restaurant, a slight breeze picked up, and suddenly I was shivering, almost uncontrollably. It wasn't all that cold - upper 60s and a light breeze - but I was wearing shorts (I was in boy mode), and I get chilled much more easily than before.

After a moment M noticed how cold I was - my teeth were almost chattering -  and insisted on driving me home. I was too cold to argue. 

On the way home, M asked if I was warm enough a few minutes after turning up the heat. I replied that I was, explaining that this was one result of the HRT.

As we pulled up in front of my parents house, he unlocked the passenger side door to let me out.

"Bring a sweater from now on, Cass," he said with a grin. "There isn't enough of you to stay warm on your own, so remember: think layers."

It was a really nice way to end the day. :c)

***

Since we spent part of our dinner conversation discussing the recent 25th anniversary release of Paul Simon's landmark Graceland album, here's what is surely one of the most joyous musical performances I've ever seen, from Saturday Night Live in November 1986:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada