Pics & Thoughts from Newport 2014: Pt. II

Friday, August 8, 2014

Hello everyone. Hope you all had a good week.

To be honest, I simply haven't felt like writing lately. I have lots to write about, and lots of half-written posts... I just am not feeling the need to work on any of them at the moment.

I'm still pretty beat; it's been a long, less-than-fun... well, few years, as a glance at the blog would show. I'm fine, but I suspect the toll of that journey is a big part of feeling this way.

But instead of feeling guilty, as "the boy" would have, I'm just going with it. I'll start writing again when the mood strikes. Perhaps it will be tomorrow, perhaps a week, or a month, or more. I don't know.

I have things I want to write about, because it helps me process them. But right now, I want to simply be. I've been consumed by a number of activities and episodes, both professional and (especially) personal that have required expending a great deal of energy, but have offered little - or, if I'm honest, no - return.

Well, that is going to change. And the beginning of that process is learning how to take some of that energy that I've been expending on other things and other people and start spending it on myself.

It's about time, to be blunt.

Because if I don't do it, then no one else will.

So... I will.


As promised in my last post, here a few shots from the Newport Folk Festival. I took far fewer than usual, as I think I mentioned. I wanted to just enjoy the music this time. And I did. :c)

Here's Willie Watson, who opened the second day of the festival on the Harbor Stage. The man has some serious guitar chops, which I was only somewhat aware of - until now.


J Roddy Walston, also on Saturday:



Shakey Graves, probably my favorite performance of the weekend:


Puss N Boots, with Norah Jones on (more than credible) electric guitar.


The three women in this band - Jones, Sasha Dobson, and Catherine Popper (L-R below) - are not only amazing musicians, but ridiculously beautiful too. And funny. Who knew?



The amazing Mavis Staples, who sat in with Puss N Boots, Lucius, and other acts (I didn't get to see them all, as I was mostly at one stage all three days):



Leif Vollebekk, from Montreal:


Sara Watkins, of Nickel Creek:


Gregory Alan Isikov, who played a quietly stunning set on Sunday:



Alynda Lee Segarra, of the amazing Hurray For The Riff-Raff:


Dave Simonett, of Trampled By Turtles:


Hope you liked 'em!

7 comments:

Ashley W. on August 8, 2014 at 11:32 PM said...

I would love to see Trampled by Turtles live, their music is so fun! :)

They were actually supposed to play here in Edmonton the day before flying to Newport, but they got rained out. (Not that I had tickets anyway...)

Cassidy on August 8, 2014 at 11:47 PM said...

They are a blast, Ashley. :D You can hear their Newport set from a few years ago here:

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/31/137184091/newport-folk-2011-trampled-by-turtles-live-in-concert

There was a funny moment during this set. They were changing instruments between songs when a woman suddenly called out, "I wanna be trampled by your turtles!"

They all cracked up, and Dave Simonett, the lead singer, said, "I *knew* we were going to like this festival!" lol

BTW, I have some great live shows too; ping me if you're interested and I'd be happy to get 'em to you by Google Drive. :D

== Cass

P.S. Hurray For The Riff Raff are really great too, if you like TBT. So is Spirit Family Reunion; they are all kindred spirits...

Nadine Spirit on August 9, 2014 at 8:45 AM said...

Take care of you Cass, you deserve it sweetie!

Cassidy on August 9, 2014 at 5:34 PM said...

Thank you, Nadine! Will do. :D

Hugs,
Cass

P.S. Enjoying your song-related posts, btw. Keep 'em coming!

Ashley W. on August 10, 2014 at 11:21 AM said...

Ooh, I'll definitely have to check out those other bands. :)

Jenna on August 12, 2014 at 1:02 AM said...

I think its about time you started having some serious me time. Do stuff for you and not other people for a change.
The blog will still be here when you have things that you want to share.
Take care hun xx

Cassidy on August 20, 2014 at 8:24 PM said...

Thank you, Jenna. I'm trying to do just that. I'm taking the first week of September off, and it is desperately needed. You can only put up with so much nonsense (with family, work, etc) before you have to say to hell with it and unplug. And that is what I am going to do.

Thank you again, hon.

Hugs,
Cass

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada