Cass Gets Bang-ed (a/k/a My New 'Do)

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Happy Friday all! Hope your weekend is off to a rousing start.

As the title indicates, my weekend began with a trip to the hairdresser to get my 'do done. :) It's been two months, and the color definitely was in need of a serious tune-up.

Last time we went with a really, really dark red, which was a lot of fun. But this time we opted to go back to the strawberry blonde look we'd been using previously.

I'm really pleased with the results, as usual. J, my stylist, is a true artist, as I tell her every time I see her. She is wonderful. She was amazed at how long my hair is getting, as were the other stylists, none of whom have seen me for two months.

It has to be the hormones; I've read that hair growth is a potential side effect, and that is the only reasonable explanation for both how fast it's growing and how much thicker it's become. I am not complaining, believe me!

We dug out a photo of me from my first visit 18 months ago, well before I was full-time. As J noted, "you're a totally different person now." Even I can sense that, although I clearly don't see all of the changes they seem to see. (More on that another time.)

Anyway, the reason I wrote this post is alluded to in my perfectly innocent, not-at-all-a-double-entendre title. ;) After the color was done, J got to work trimming the split ends so my hair continues to grow "like weeds," as she put it.

Suddenly she became very animated, stepping back with widened eyes.

"You know what we should try, hon?" she said. "Bangs! I'll bet it would look super-cute!"

S, another stylist, immediately chimed in, saying she thought it was a great idea.

I said what the heck? You only live once, after all. :D And as J pointed out, I can always just pull them to the side if I decide I don't like the look.

Well, that turns out to be a moot point. :) Once I put on my glasses to see the finished product, I gasped. I look *so* much like my sister, who also wears bangs, that it was uncanny. (As April sagely noted, "It's almost as if you two are related!")

J straightened my hair, something I usually don't do, mostly because I like my hair wavy. But I like this enough to want to replicate the look fairly frequently.

In any case, you can judge for yourself right now. :c)



Next up is getting my eyebrows shaped. Several of the other photos I took convinced me that it is past time to get 'em done. My electrologist did a very good job, but several friends whose opinion I respect a great deal all have told me separately over the past 7-10 days that there is still room for improvement. So I will get it done. And soon.

Hope everyone has a nice Saturday! Stay tuned for more posts in the days to come!

***

I celebrated my new look by stopping off at Starbucks across from the mall where my salon is located for some baseball chat and iced coffee with my barista friends. R was in charge of the soundtrack for the evening, and happily he decided it was a Who kind of evening. Far be it for me to buck that trend!

I've always linked these two songs together in my mind - as does Townshend, apparently, since they close Side 1 and open Side 2, respectively, on the original LP:



I always marvel at the contrast between Daltrey and Townshend's singing styles. It's remarkable how well Daltrey's gruff, blunt tone contrasts so beautifully with Townshend's more fragile, vulnerable voice. It renders them capable of capturing a range of emotions neither of them could reach alone, which is what makes them such a great team.

One last track, this time Pete's original version of "Pure & Easy," which Daltrey quotes so memorably in the vocal tag at the conclusion of "The Song Is Over":

18 comments:

Becca on September 27, 2014 at 2:03 AM said...

Bangs ? Google translation not helping here !

Looking good by the way :)

Cassidy on September 27, 2014 at 2:08 AM said...

Sorry - was not aware that this was an Americanism! Here you go:

a) A fringe of hair cut straight across the forehead. (e.g. "she brushed back her wispy bangs”; North American); b) An act of sexual intercourse (vulgar slang)

Well... who knew it could be vulgar [batting eyelashes innocently]?

;D

Thank you for the kind words, hon! Hope all is well!

Jenna on September 27, 2014 at 2:29 AM said...

Gah! Bangs.
You are so lucky. As much as I would love to have bangs my hairdresser has said they wouldn't work for me :-(

Daltrey and Townsend are brilliant. I've never been huge Who fan, well not the group anyway :-) but have to admit that Pinball Wizard is one of my all time classics. Elton John and The Who together is hard to top.

Abigale's Airings on September 27, 2014 at 5:15 AM said...

Hi Miss C!
The look is you!
Love from the [3] of us ;-)
Miss A..

A on September 27, 2014 at 8:39 AM said...

Love the bangs you look hot!

A on September 27, 2014 at 8:40 AM said...

Love the bangs you look hot!

A on September 27, 2014 at 8:40 AM said...

Love the bangs you look hot!

Calie on September 27, 2014 at 11:15 AM said...

What everyone else said!!!! Love the look, but I've always loved your hair, girl.

LL Cool Joe on September 27, 2014 at 11:57 AM said...

You great with a fringe, it always makes a face look much softer.

LL Cool Joe on September 27, 2014 at 11:57 AM said...

Sorry "look".

Cassidy on September 27, 2014 at 10:28 PM said...

@ Jenna: Thank you, hon! Bangs are definitely tricky. This is styled so I can push them off to the side on the days when I let it air-dry, i.e. its usual wavy self. It’s nice to have options, correct? :)

I *do* love The Who, but oddly enough Tommy is the one album that has always eluded me. I far prefer Quadrophenia, which I think is superior in terms of long-form story-telling. I’ve always considered “The Real Me” to be the definitive Who song…

@ Abigale: Thank you from all one of me to all three of you! ;D

@ Joey: Thank you, sir! Thanks to you and Becca, I’ve learned that fringe and bangs are the same thing. :) Truth be told, fringe makes far more sense, does it not? Or perhaps that’s just my Irishness asserting itself over my American-ness. lol

@ April: Thank you, girl - in triplicate!!! :D

@ Calie: Thank you hon! I can’t take any credit for the hair, alas, as it was part of a package deal. ;) But I truly appreciate the kind words!

Hugs to all of you!

Nadine Spirit on September 29, 2014 at 4:19 PM said...

You look great cutie! I love the bangin' new do!

Cassidy on September 29, 2014 at 10:00 PM said...

@ Nadine: Thank you, hon! That's very kind of you!

It was somewhat humid here today, so the hair reverted back to its usual wavy ways. lol The bangs still look OK with curls, but if I want to wear my hair straight it will clearly take a bit of work those days I choose to go that route. Options are a good thing though, right? :D

Hugs,
Cass

Nadine Spirit on September 30, 2014 at 1:24 PM said...

I find it so funny about those lucky ones of you with hair. Normally if it is straight, they want curls, if it is curly, they want it straight. My wife, like you, has wavy hair, which I think is the best. That way you can fairly easily go one way or the other! But it does take work. Work that I am jealous of. My only hair comes all over my body, except for my head!

Cassidy on September 30, 2014 at 5:07 PM said...

@Nadine: It's weird; my father and brother are bald, and were so while still in their twenties, while my sister and mother both have baby-fine, pin-straight hair. And I have... this. lol Beats me where it came from, but I am grateful!

Counting her lucky stars,
Cass :D

Abigale's Airings on October 1, 2014 at 5:05 AM said...

If you girls are going to keep on about hair (and why not! from a whisper in my head), then I'll put in my tuppence worth.
Me mum had lovely fine blond hair, me dad thick black curly hair. Mendel’s law kicked in with me and as I have no brov. or sis. I got dumped with a full load of both! The combination was not to my liking at all, especially at school, fine brownish curly hair. I hated it! Curls were for girls.
[Ed| She now has of course another “attitude” to curls].
The convention at that time was short back and sides so I didn’t get that many girly oriented snide remarks, but I was always conscious of being curly.
Later on in the flower power era I let my hair grow long. It was beginning to thin on top but I got it down to my shoulders to the grief of me dad. When I washed the mop I had an instant afro look! It stood out in all directions apart from straight up due to, not to gravity, but as said, depletion. If I tried to brush it out or franticly batter it down it just got worse. It looked like I was taking part in a school experiment with a van der graaf generator. That was many ages ago. The thinning carried on at glacial speed and has left a landscape [Ed| headscape?] looking like a terminal moraine, mostly bare, but with little tuffs of hair at non-chic locations.
I now have a silvery sheen [Ed| she means gone white] and the curls appear only under certain weather conditions.
I am sooo glad for wigs. :D
Abigale

Cassidy on October 6, 2014 at 10:33 PM said...

@ Miss A: You do have a way with words, girl! Very entertaining reply.

I only discovered my curls about ten years ago, believe it or not. (Long story.) Now that I'm growing it out it's more wavy than curly, unless it's humid. Then all bets are off!

Also: wigs rock!!!

Thanks for the comment, hon!

== Cass

lizzi3marshall on October 27, 2014 at 6:26 PM said...

I think the bangs flatter your face, Cass! It helps that you do not have small forehead. Bangs on a small forehead is such a no-no hairstyle for round face. I’m not quite sure your face shape though from the angles. But are you? :)
Lizzie

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada