A (Brief) Visit to the Tunnel of Love, or My (Mis)Adventure in Stirrups :D

Saturday, October 20, 2018


Greetings and salutations, one and all. Hope all are well. It's been a looonnnngggg time since I posted. Things have really been hoppin' at Cass's Casa, and this blog, alas, has been one of the casualties.

It's Saturday afternoon, and I'm just back from lunch with my friend J. We worked together years ago, then lost touch when I moved to Seattle. We reconnected on Facebook, and, finally, got to meet up in person. It was J's first time meeting Cass in person, which made it extra enjoyable. J was a good friend at a time when I needed one, so it's great to have him (and his lovely wife S) back in my life. :c)

I went for a run this morning, so I have some free time before my nephew C comes over later to watch Game 7 of the National League Championship Series to see whether the Brewers or Dodgers face - oh, how sweet it is to be able to say this - the American League Champion Boston Red Sox in the World Series! Woo hoo! :c)

So, follow along below the fold for my further adventures, including one of my more memorable (in a good way) post-transition experiences - and while seeing my doctor, no less. :c)




Anyway, I've had a bunch of things (mostly good, fortunately) going on the past few months  - including one very positive development, which, alas, I can't really write about here. But it's good, I promise. :-p Hopefully soon I can write a post about it.

I have a vacation coming up in less than two weeks, which I definitely need. You know you're in need of a vacation when multiple people tell you some variation of "Wow, you look really tired - but in a good way." lol I took some time off back in early April, but as I said, it's been very hectic hereabouts, and things have caught up with me a bit. I'm headed above the Maple Curtain once again to visit with Alice and Halle, so expect a report on our exploits afterwards.

To give you an idea of just how busy it's been here, I never even posted about a very important day last month - the one year anniversary of my GCS! It simultaneously feels as if it happened both yesterday and a million years ago, if that makes sense. I feel good physically; it's so nice not to have to dilate daily (although I'm still doing so three or so times a week, just because it feels right).

By coincidence, I happened to have an appointment to see J, my doctor, on the anniversary (September 18th, in case anyone is curious). I was actually supposed to see her about six weeks prior, but she had to reschedule at the last minute.

In true Cass fashion, the appointment was... well, unique. We did a full physical, including a gyno exam - which is where the "only Cassidy" part comes in.

I was in the stirrups, and J, speculum in hand, had literally just started the, er, "festivities"... when it happened.

What, you ask, was "it"?

The fire alarm went off.

No, seriously.

Right at "that" moment.

"I don't believe this," I heard J say.

"So.... does this qualify me as a "hot" chick, then?" I asked.

J laughed.

"Yes, I think it's official now," she replied, then turned serious. "I'm sorry, Cass. I know this is a hassle."

"It's OK," I said, and meant it. "I see a future blog post here!"

"I can't wait," J said, laughing again, as we heard an urgent knock at the door.

"Sorry, we have to go downstairs," a man's voice said. It was D, the security guard on J's floor. A fellow sports fan, D and I always pass the time chatting about the latest Red Sox and Bruins news while I wait to be called in for my appointment.

"Coming, D. We just need a minute here," J said, as she helped me get my legs out of the stirrups.

"Sorry, but we really need everyone out now," he replied apologetically.

"D, trust me... Cass really needs another minute, if you catch my drift," J said.

There was a moment's silence before D spoke.

"Ah." said D, amused. "Gotcha. One of those female things, right?"

"Right," said J.

"Cool. Carry on, Cass!"

"Good thing it's September and not January," I remarked as I shrugged on my clothes. "A sundress and sandals are a lot faster than snow boots, sweaters, and scarves, right?"

In any event, we all made it outside in a timely manner. And, after a wait outside in a steady drizzle, we received the all-clear from the fire department. And, once back inside, we finished t he exam, after which I received another all-clear.

J switched me from taking estrogen in pill form to using the patch. My levels are still lower than she would like; the hope is that this will help raise them, as it enable the body to process the estrogen more efficiently. If the levels haven't risen by my next visit the week before Christmas, J said we'll simply increase the dosage. Hopefully the switch will do the trick, though.

OK, think that will do it for now. Hope to write with a bit more frequency. I have several longer-form posts I've wanted to write for some time now; hopefully the impetus to get those done will get me writing more frequently. Ciao for now, and go Sox!!!

***

I had a bit of fun with the title for this post - and it also means I can share a few great songs that tie into it.

First up is the title song to Bruce Springsteen's criminally-underrated 1987 album, Tunnel of Love, written and recorded during the dissolution of his first marriage.


That remarkable guitar solo is courtesy of Nils Lofgren, making this one of the few songs in Bruce's catalogue on which he doesn't play the solo himself.

Next up is another ride in the tunnel of love - this one courtesy of Dire Straits, via the first track on their 1980 masterpiece, Making Movies:


Mark Knopfler's guitar playing is so evocative; he's one of the few guitarists who can move me to tears with their playing, and the solo at the end of this song might be his best. Some things can't be expressed in words, and this solo is proof.

There's a connection between these two songs beyond their titles, by the way: Roy Bittan of the E Street Band plays keyboard and piano on both songs. His piano playing is arguably as important as Knopfler's guitar playing to this song and this album.

He also plays on this track from Making Movies as well - another song (and video) that still moves me after all these years - "Skateaway":


The beautiful "roller girl" of the video, incidentally, is musician Jayzik Azikiwae, who passed away far too young at the age of 50. The song and video are a fitting tribute.



9 comments:

Halle on October 21, 2018 at 10:56 PM said...

Only our Cassidy! (Shaking my head) :-D

Cassidy on October 21, 2018 at 11:10 PM said...

That's what my sister said. lol

Can't wait to see you and K!!! xoxoxo

Hugs,
Cass

Abigale's Airings on October 30, 2018 at 10:14 AM said...

Lovely story Miss C! Legs up in the air and the alarms go off! Typical! X!

Cassidy on October 30, 2018 at 11:48 PM said...

Ain't it the truth. ;D

Thanks, Miss A!!!

Hugs,
Cass

Diana Nicole B on November 26, 2018 at 4:54 PM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diana Nicole B on November 26, 2018 at 4:57 PM said...

hi Cassidy since i haven't been on blogger in quite awhile i didn't realize you had transitioned. i spend much of my time posting to facebook these days since it is easier to toggle back an forth between my other self's account.
by chance do you have a facebook page if so please look me up there.
my distant cousin several states away had transitioned several years ago and most people don't realize about the maintenance required after transitioning
hope all is well with you
hugs Diana

Cassidy on November 26, 2018 at 5:09 PM said...

Hi Diana!

What a nice surprise on a Monday! :c) I'm doing well, thank you - hope you are as well! I just sent you a friend request on FB, so keep an eye peeled for it. :-p

Hugs,
Cass

P.S. I hear you about post-op maintenance. I don't mind it at all, but you definitely have to be prepared. Fortunately it's all totally worth it!

Becca on December 1, 2018 at 5:29 PM said...

Glad your doing well..... never fail to be jealous of your amazing mane :)

Cassidy on December 1, 2018 at 6:51 PM said...

Hello, Miss B! So nice to see your name here. :D Thank you for the kind words, and I hope you're doing well too! :c)

Hugs,
Cass

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada