Musings: Five Is Right Out

Wednesday, December 12, 2018


Hello all. Hope you're having a good December so far. This isn't my favorite time of year, although it used to be. It brings to mind painful memories of broken promises, lies, and betrayal. This December has been harder than usual for some reason. But I'll get through it. I've come too far and worked too hard.

And on that note, I just wanted to put up a brief post today to commemorate one of the most important days of my life.

Five years ago today - December 13, 2013 (Friday the 13th, incidentally) is the day I went full time.

It simultaneously feels like yesterday and a thousand years ago - in a good way. And while I'm going through a less than pleasant period at the moment, I'm doing it as myself. And that makes it all worthwhile. I wouldn't trade my life now for anything I had back then. I think the two photos below - the first taken the day I started HRT (November 19th, 2011) and the second taken this evening, December 12th, 2018 - tell the story far better than any words I can conjure up:


And here I am five years ago to the day on the left, and today on the right:


A lot has changed since then - including my address (several times), hair color (once), boob size (OK, not so much), and, of course, plumbing (absolutely only once!).

(I also put on some weight, as you can see - a combination of prolonged, involuntary inactivity, a much-busier-than-usual work schedule, and the side effects of medication I was taking. But no excuses. I weighed the same from high school until just before my surgery in September 2017, and I am going to get back to my normal weight. I'm hard at work on it, every day. And I'll succeed (in fact, I'm already on my way, in the past three weeks since I started in earnest). I know now I can do anything I put my mind to. Posting these pics is one way to hold myself to that when I'm tired at the end of the day and need a reminder of my goal. In six or so months I plan to be back to my normal weight. Book it.)

What will the next five years bring? Who knows? But I'm looking forward to finding out. See you back here on December 13, 2023. :c)

***

By the way, for anyone wondering where the title of this post comes from, I refer you to the Book of Armaments, Chapter Two, verses 9-21:


***

In the spirit of the season, a few Christmas songs from two wonderful new holiday albums, by The Mavericks and The Old 97s, respectively. Check them out; they're both terrific bands who get a lot of airplay here in Cass's Little Corner of the World.



And to end on a more contemplative note, here's Kate Bush's 1979 classic, "December Will Be Magic." First, a live version, from her Christmas special that year:


And last but not least, the single version, which is as lovely as its singer:


Hope to post at least once more before Christmas. Have a lovely holiday season (whichever you observe) in the meantime, everyone.

2 comments:

Halle on December 12, 2018 at 11:25 PM said...

Thanks for those photos Miss Cass. I definitely prefer your hair up. ;-)

Losing that weight has been my greatest challenge. Because you've made up your mind that it is going, I'll put money on it happening just as you say.

Cassidy on December 13, 2018 at 8:41 PM said...

Thank you, Halle. :c) I have to say that those pics, on second viewing, make me look *really* puffy! lol Poor angle, poor lighting... anyway, they're not the best shots. I'll try to get better ones next time I post. That said, I'm still hell-bent on dropping every ounce of this extra poundage. And I will. Thanks for believing in me!

Hugs,
Cass (just back from a two hour walk) :c)

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada