Vignettes: Can't You See? a/k/a The Glory of... Me(?)

Thursday, August 15, 2019

Had to share this. :c)

So, I went into my local Starbucks on Tuesday evening.

M, the barista behind the register, spotted me as I walked in and said "Look! It's Cass, our COTW!"

Now, I work in high-tech, which is acronym-happy, but this was a new one, even for me.

"COTW?" I asked.

I must have looked even more befuddled than I normally do, because she laughed, pointed to a sign next to the cash register, and said, "I thought you writer types read everything?!?"

Well, I had noticed the sign - but had not looked at it recently.

So I put on my specs and took a closer look.

This is what I saw:


Isn't that sweet?!?

I had no idea they had done this! (Although I joked that they needed to update the sign by adding "and near-sighted" to the end of it. :D)

Anyway, it made my week, needless to say. :c) Thanks again, kids!

***

While I ponder whether my six-month-old eyeglass prescription needs updating, given that I somehow missed this sign staring me in the face, I thought I'd post a few vision-themed tunes. First up, a great song from The Marshall Tucker Band - "Can't You See," from 1973:


That's the late, great Toy Caldwell, who wrote "Can't You See," tearing it up on vocals and lead guitar.

Another great classic rock tune: 1967's "I Can See For Miles," from The Who:


Every time I listen to this (especially on headphones) I marvel at how incredible it sounds, particularly given the relatively primitive recording techniques available in late 1966/early 1967, when they recorded this.

Finally, an early tune from one of my favorite bands. Here's Wilco performing "Outtasite (Outta Mind") from their classic 1996 album Being There:


And as a bonus, here's it's twin - "Outta Mind (Outtasite)" - also from Being There:


That one never fails to make me smile. :c) I would say Mr. Tweedy and co. were clearly indulging a serious jones for Pet Sounds/Smile-era Beach Boys during the sessions for Being There. :c)

Ciao for now - and Happy Friday everyone...

3 comments:

Cassidy on August 15, 2019 at 11:41 PM said...

And near-sighted. Don't forget near-sighted. ;D

(Thank you, Miss H!)

Hugs,
Cass

Shannyn Elysse on September 1, 2019 at 10:13 AM said...

Love it! Super great to not only be accepted, but noted as among the coolest people OVERALL that they see. And Starbucks sees A LOT of people.

Great music references here too!

Cassidy on September 2, 2019 at 1:44 PM said...

Thank you, Shannyn (cool name, btw)! :c) It really was flattering to be singled out by them like that. Just started reading your blog - always a positive sign when the first post references Peter Frampton *and* Bob Dylan. ;c) Looking forward to reading about your further adventures!

== Cass

P.S. Thanks for the kind words about the music, btw!

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada