Vignettes: Drugstore Cowgirl

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Hi all! Hope everyone had a lovely Wednesday!

Today was an important day for me, not least of all because I got my annual review at work. (The verdict? Still there, somehow - i.e. duped 'em yet again!) lol

But it was significant for another reason - which I will write about in my next post. :c)

(Yes, it is a good kind of significant.)

For this post, I just wanted to share a brief moment from today that, again, shows how far I have come, even when I am not aware of it.


I stopped off on the way home from work to pick up a prescription (not for my hormones, but for something else).

I was the only person in line as I arrived at the waiting area, but the two pharmacists, a man and a woman, were clearly engrossed in something behind the counter. I simply stood and waited, as I did not want to interrupt them.

My mind must have drifted - a non-uncommon occurrence these days - when I heard a voice calling out.

"Ma'am? Ma'am? Excuse me... ma'am?"

I finally snapped out of my reverie - in my defense, the chewing gum display was riveting - and looked up.

He was addressing me.

Oops.

I apologized for being a ditz (not in those words, of course!), and he apologized in turn for the long wait. I assured him I was in no rush, and to take care of whatever they needed to address.

"Thank you very much, ma'am. We'll be with you right away."

I had a seat in the waiting area, and several minutes later he called out and beckoned me over to the counter.

As soon as I reached it he took one look at me and apparently decided he had made a mistake in how he was addressing me.

Because he thereafter addressed me as "Miss."

:D

It is so much fun being a girl!!!

***

Hat tip to Gus Van Sant, and my apologies for nicking the title of this post from Drugstore Cowboy. Still think this is Matt Dillon's best role to date (and that is saying something):


The movie is set in 1971, so here is a classic from the same year - Rod Stewart's masterful take on Tim Hardin's "Reason to Believe," from Every Picture Tells A Story:


Say what you will about his near-criminal squandering of his gifts for most of his career after his initial first four albums (all classics); he was, and still is, one of the greatest interpretive singers in rock history.

One more from Picture, and probably my favorite Stewart original - "Mandolin Wind."


I remember reading a review of this album, and the author noted how he made you believe every single word of this song; that was his gift, and it was a profound one.

While it is a pity he chooses not to put that gift to use very often anymore... we still have gems like this.

5 comments:

Stace on July 11, 2013 at 1:03 AM said...

I also had my revue yesterday. Hope yours went as well as mine :)

Stace

Jenna on July 11, 2013 at 1:57 AM said...

Must be that time of the year. Had my half yearly appraisal yesterday. Bit disappointed as my rating has gone down slightly for the first time in a few years :-(

Will just have to do something to shine during the rest of the year :-)

Cassidy on July 12, 2013 at 12:02 AM said...

@ Jenna: Apparently it *is* that time of year! Odd that we all had it so close to one another.

Based on your posts, I too am puzzled at how your rating could possibly have gone down. Clearly you like what you do, and are quite good at it. I think *they* should be ones to have their rating drop! Just saying...

@ Stace: Glad to hear yours went well! Not that it is any way a surprise, hon!. :c)

As for mine, yes, I was pleased. I was most happy that my co-workers S & RW were both recognized (in terms of praise and financial reward) for their outstanding work the past year.

In fact, we (myself and my manager L) spent most of *my* review talking about *them* and discussing possible new projects for them. They are clearly capable of great things; the senior writers want to encourage them both to realize how good they are, and how good they are going to be. (Even though they make me feel old! lol)

== Cass

Calie on July 15, 2013 at 10:00 PM said...

Stace and Cass: Congratulations on your reviews!!!

Calie xxx

Cassidy on July 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM said...

I second that for Stace, Calie! :D

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada