Vignettes: Boo(b) Boo(b)

Tuesday, October 1, 2013


I have a longer post I need to write (I know I keep saying that, but it's true!). However, since my posts have been few and far between recently, I thought I'd fire off a few short - and fun - ones in the meantime.

First up, I get busted.

Well, sort of. :c)




I awoke on a Friday several weeks ago, groggy as usual. I was just beginning to feel the first signs of improvement after my extended down period, but I was still quite tired. Exhausted, truth be told.

I stumbled over to my closet to find a shirt to wear. I am still in boy mode at work, unfortunately, so I have to attempt to dress the part.

It was only then, at 6:16 AM, that I realized I had neglected to do laundry.

For a while.

As in... well, nearly two weeks.

(Hey, those detergent bottles can be heavy you know! I could barely lift them before I started on hormones!)

I quickly realized the only shirts I had were winter shirts. Since it was going to be in the low 80s without a cloud in the sky, they were not an option.

Sighing, I dug back into my closet.

Way back into my closet.

And finally I found a shirt my nephew C had outgrown that my sister had given to me. My nephew outgrew the shirt when he was 14, to give you an idea of our relative size.

I was too grateful - and groggy - to do much more than shrug on the shirt, grab my laptop bag and backpack, and head off to work, hoping the caffeine kicked in along the way.

I arrived at the office, sat down, and got to work right away.

I typically don't interact much with my co-workers other than a smile and "hello" when I first arrive. That is particularly true pre-caffeine. But on this day, I also had several deadlines rapidly approaching. We also had a company-sponsored outdoor lunch at midday, so I had extra reason to bear down.

I got up once, perhaps twice, to re-heat my coffee or to take a bio break. I was thinking about how to word several thorny passages as I did, so I wasn't really paying attention to anyone else.

Several hours after my arrival, I heard a knock behind me. I turned around and saw R hopping up on my desk to my back.

"Morning, R." I said as I swiveled around in my chair.

"Morning, hon," she replied. "How are - oh, my God!"

Her brown eyes were open wide as she quickly turned her head away from me.

"What's wrong, R?" I asked, baffled.

She continued to look away from me as she replied.

"I'm sorry - but I'm trying not to stare at your chest!" she whispered.

I looked down and immediately saw what she meant.

"Oh, my," I breathed.

The shirt was, well... not as baggy as the shirts I typically favor these days.

The girls are far from spectacular; as I've mentioned, I'm not all that big.

But they were obviously, umm, present. More so than the last time I could get away with wearing this shirt.

Unfortunately, I didn't make that discovery at home, but at my desk, an hour away from home. :#)

"You cannot wear just that shirt in here today, Cass," R whispered.

"I know," I whispered in reply. "But I can't wear it outside at lunch; I'll melt! I don't do well standing still in the sun with shorts and a t-shirt, let alone wearing layers!"

"Well it's either that or put on a show for everyone," said R, beginning to laugh.

I considered that for a moment.

"Well, at least my perspiration smells a lot nicer than it did when I was a boy," I thought.

As it turned out, I made up in ounces what I lacked in an olfactory realization by one or more of my co-workers. Scant comfort, I must say. :D

But I learned a valuable lesson:

A smart girl always has a variety of wardrobe options at all times.

Otherwise you face the consequences of the dreaded "I have nothing to wear!" moment.

Literally, in this case.

So in the future I will have a backup plan in place:

Always have a spare top or blouse handy at a moment's notice.

Or at least a vacation day I can burn.

:c)

***

What better to listen to after that post than one of Eric Clapton's loveliest, most moving songs, from his classic 1974 album 461 Ocean Boulevard?


Incidentally, the album is named after the address of the house he rented near Miami while recording the album. You can see the home - and Eric - on the album cover.

3 comments:

Jenna on October 2, 2013 at 1:50 AM said...

Way to go :-)
So how did you manage at lunchtime?

I have complete sympathy with you. Every time I need to go out in boy mode now I'm very aware of girls (well girl) and try to wear a loose fitting top. Takes me back to when I was a teenager and wore them all the time.

Stace on October 2, 2013 at 8:37 AM said...

I think I got halfway through writing a response when my machine went bye bye...

Anyway. Bad luck! :) Hope there was something that you could do!

As for the 'nothing to wear' syndrome. I generally have enough clean, ironed clothes for me to pick an outfit with out a problem. And I still have nothing to wear. I'm sure I am not alone here :)

Stace

Cassidy on October 2, 2013 at 11:40 PM said...

@ Jenna: Thank you! lol

As for lunch, at first I tried wearing my hooded sweatshirt outside. But within a minute or two I was excessively dewy, as April would say. :D It was only around 80 (or 27-ish on your side of the pond), but the sun was VERY strong, there wasn't a cloud in the sky, and I had to wait in line for nearly 45 minutes to get something to eat. I finally acknowledged reality, took off the jacket, and kept my arms folded across my chest as tightly as possible! lol

The loose shirts seem to work in general, but I have to think at least a few people are beginning to wonder what is going on. My hair is getting long (it's at that really annoying in-between stage right now), and R has mentioned more than once that I am often unconsciously acting like, well, myself. :c) The boy is fading away, and trying to pretend I'm still him is growing increasingly difficult. We shall see, I guess...

@ Stace: Oh no! I hope that was a metaphorical "bye bye" and not a literal one!

It wasn't all that bad, really! It was pretty funny, to tell you the truth. Although perhaps not when I was trying to balance holding my jacket, my mac and cheese with meatballs (surprisingly good, btw), *and* not allowing the girls to make their presence known before I want them to. lol

I had one of those 'nothing to wear' moments a while ago; I think I even mentioned it in a post. I never understood how my sister or mother could possibly say that... but now I do. :D So no, you are not alone!

BTW, what is this "ironing" that you speak of? Perhaps it is some sort of arcane European practice? ;c)

Thanks for the comment, sweetie! And I hope both you and Jenna enjoy the rest of the week!

Hugs,
Cass

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada