Musings: It Takes Two

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Hi all - this is a brief mid-week post commemorating the anniversary of the most important day of my life.

Two years ago today I had my GCS (Gender Confirmation Surgery), performed by Dr. Brassard at GRS Montreal. It's hard to believe, even as I type these words. It simultaneously feels as if it just happened yesterday... and a million years ago.

I was chatting online with my Montreal roommate (hello Miss A!!!) today - she confessed she had no idea it was today! I was aware it was approaching, but not until last week. As I told A today, I think that's a healthy thing for both of us. 

The fact that it could sneak up on us in that way doesn't mean its importance is diminished in any way; rather, it shows how effective - and necessary - it was. We no longer have to dream about living the life we should be leading; now we are leading them. All of the hard work and sacrifice was totally worth it.

I can't tell anyone else what the right choice is for them; our journey is our own, and only we know what's right for us. But this was both the hardest thing I've ever done and the best thing I've ever done.

My life isn't perfect; I still have issues I have to deal with, and there are things I want to change, and to do, and to achieve.

And I know I will. Because I was able to go from this:


To this:

I know that if I can do that, then I can do anything - and do it as myself. At long last.

And that makes all the difference.

Here's wishing you all the best on your journey, wherever it may lead you.

***

A few road/journey songs for your listening pleasure. :c)

You can never go wrong with The Beatles, of course, so we'll start with them. Here's the lovely, stripped down version of "The Long and Winding Road." I very much prefer this to the somewhat overwrought studio version (and I say that will all due respect for the genius of Phil Spector).


Next up is Jackson Browne's gorgeous "The Road," from his 1978 masterpiece Running on Empty. What a great album this is:


Speaking of Journey, here's my favorite song of theirs - "Still They Ride," from 1981's Escape album. Steve Perry's vocals are so moving; I still get goosebumps every time I listen to this:


And finally, a much-beloved (by me) song from one of the first albums I bought - "Take The Long Way Home," from Supertramp's Breakfast in America (1979):



3 comments:

LL Cool Joe on September 19, 2019 at 6:48 AM said...

And your happiness radiates from the second photo. Congratulations on becoming who you were meant to be.

Deanna on September 19, 2019 at 10:38 AM said...

Two years and a lifetime Miss C! You have shown me the snap of that other person - still cannot imagine him able to carry your spirit around. Thank the goddess you managed to survive and finally find your way home.

Hugs, D xxx

Cassidy on September 19, 2019 at 6:35 PM said...

@ Joey: Thanks so much, Joey! Hope your eye is feeling better!

@ Deanna: Thank you as well, Miss D!!! And a slightly belated Happy Anniversary to you as well! Thankfully both of us found our way home. :c)

Hugs,
Cass

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada