Vignettes: Cass's (New) Glasses!

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Apologies for the lack of activity hereabouts lately. Your humble blogstress has been quite busy. I have several posts in various stages of readiness, and will do my best to wrap them up and get 'em posted forthwith!

In the meantime, I thought I would share a few pics of my new glasses, which I picked up on Thursday, as well as a quick story about a nice moment afterwards. 

Follow along for more below the jump - but here's a sneak peek for the immediate gratification crowd. ;c)




First things first - yes, the frames do, indeed, have teal in them. :D

My verdict? They were worth the wait (to me, anyway); I like them a lot. But take a look for yourself!



As a bonus, you also get, at no additional cost, a view of the swelling and blotchiness from my most recent electrolysis session on Tuesday. 

As M noted after finally triumphing over a particularly determined follicle, "we're getting down to the really tough customers now, hon." Tell me something I don't know... lol

***

I picked up the glasses at the same facility where my doctor is in Boston. Since I was there, and I need to make an appointment for my regular blood work, I decided to walk up the two flights to her office.

I always enjoy chatting with the receptionists stationed on her floor. They are an exceptionally friendly bunch, especially when you consider they have to deal with... well, people like me. lol Yet somehow they maintain their good humor and empathy in spite of it all.

My favorite is N; she has one of those vibrant personalities that makes you feel good after talking with her. 

I last saw her over 10 months ago, in July 2013. She was enjoying a day off  on my subsequent visit, and on vacation on the followup.

Needless to say, I was happy to see N in her usual spot behind the desk when I entered the lobby. It was near the end of their business hours, so I was the only non-employee there.

I walked up to N, who flashed her bright smile. Before I could say anything, she reached for a clipboard on the other side of the desk.

"Hi hon! I'm guessing you must be a new patient. Did you had a chance to fill out all our nasty paperwork yet? No trouble at all if you haven't, or if you left it at home. I'm constantly walking out of the house without my keys and Lord only knows what else! Anyway, I've got the forms right here if you need them, OK?"

Yup - same old N. lol 

It was clear she had not changed a bit since I last saw her. And it was equally clear that I could say the same thing. lol

After that fact registered, I spoke.

"Actually, I'm an existing client, N," I said, smiling.

She looked at me, puzzled.

"I'm sorry," she said. "We've met before?"

"The last time I saw you I helped you find your car keys. M (one of the nurses) had hidden them as a joke. It was last summer."

She looked at me for a few moments, then her face lit up.

"Cassidy?!? Is that you???"

I laughed.

"I'm afraid so."

She stood up, rushed round the desk... and gave me a huge hug. (I didn't have the heart to tell her about my broken rib. :D)

After several moments, she stepped back, holding me at arm's length, and looked me up and down.

"Just look at you! I cannot believe it! I'm so sorry, Cass - I really didn't recognize you!"

"Well, it's been a while - last July, actually. So I wouldn't expect you to remember me."

"Of course I remember you! You're one of my - one of our - favorites. It's just - you've changed so much! I mean, I see folks who are changing every day here, but... Anyway, you do realize it's like night and day from last year, right?"

"Well, I am a redhead now," I replied, smiling.

"That's not it, hon," she said. "It's not just how you look - even though I think you look great. It's all of you. You're finally yourself! It's so obvious. Congratulations, girl!"

I was so distracted that I didn't realize until an hour later that I forgot to book my appointment! lol Oh well. I think I can forgive N for distracting me this one time, don't you agree? ;D

***

Thought I would share something new from the The Old 97s, who just released a barnburner of an album this week. In a nearly two-decade long career of consistently fine records, Most Messed Up is already being acclaimed as one of their very best. Based on several listens this week, I am inclined to agree.

Here's the first song on the new album, performed for WFUV-FM last week:



Here's an old favorite from 1999's Fight Songs, a long-standing favorite here at Cass's Casa. 


Love that dirty, distorted guitar tone!

Another favorite from Fight Songs, "Nineteen."



Power pop at its best. Such a great song!

Finally, here's Murray Hammond's gorgeous "Valentine," which closes out Fight Songs, and this post, on a wistful note.


Have a great weekend, everyone!

3 comments:

LL Cool Joe on May 10, 2014 at 5:37 AM said...

Love your Buddy Holly style glasses! Have a great weekend!

Cassidy on May 10, 2014 at 11:24 PM said...

Thank you, Joey :) I hadn't noticed it until just now - but I most heartily approve!

Have a great weekend, and rave on!

Hugs,
Cass

Unknown on June 10, 2014 at 1:35 PM said...

I love your new glasses, Cass! I think they look great on you. They project a vintage vibe and they look even better with your red hair. I'm not surprised your friend N didn't recognize you. Haah! You must've changed a lot with your new glasses and hair. I hope you're liking them as much as we, your readers, do. Have fun! :)

Penn Moody @ Moody Eyes

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada