Three (Is A Magic Number)

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Just wanted to add a follow-up to my last post

Apparently these things work in threes!

I went for my weekly electrolysis appointment tonight. As soon as M opened the door, it was clear that she couldn't wait to talk with me.

"Do you remember what happened after last week's session?" she asked, before I'd even had a chance to settle in.

I nodded.

"I do," I said. "Why?"

***

I'm typically M's last client on Tuesday evenings, partly because I have a long commute from work and partly because we like to chat once we finish. We spoke for an unusually long time after last week's session, and once we said our goodbyes, I decided to stop for gas. 

I usually go to a particular station that is actually a bit out of my way to get home. A family bought the station from the previous owners and completely restored it. Their prices are competitive, and they are, to a person, exceptionally nice and helpful. My father and brother bring all of their cars there for any work that is needed, as do I. (They don't know we're related, however.)

I pulled up last Tuesday night and struck up my usual conversation with the brother who was on duty that night, chatting about the end of the NHL strike, what the Red Sox are up to, and, as always, how his family is doing.

Just as I was about to depart, a car pulled up on the other side. A moment later, the driver beeped the horn, so I glanced over.

It was M, my electrologist.

We laughed and made the usual comments about great minds, what a small world, and so on. 

As I was leaving, I joked that he could just add M's fill-up to my tab, which made him laugh. (I pay cash every time.) I waved goodbye and headed home, promptly forgetting the entire exchange.

Until now.

***

"That sounds about right," I said, nodding. "Any reason why you remember it?"

She was smiling broadly.

"After you left," she said, "He began to fill my tank, then came over to me."

"So you two know each other, huh?" he asked, gesturing to my car as it drove away.

"Yes, we do," she said. "Why do you ask?"

"She's one of my family's favorite customers!" he said. "She's super-polite, really friendly, and she always asks me about my wife and our new baby. And my brothers say she's the same way with them. We all think she's a sweetheart!"

I was astounded. 

"Are you *sure* he was talking about me?" I asked. "Maybe he meant someone else?"

She laughed.

"Cass, you were the only one there besides me! Of *course* he was talking about you!

"Haven't I been telling you that you're much further along than you think you are?"

It would certainly seem as if the universe is intent on sending a message that even yours truly (a/k/a Captain Oblivious, per my friend C) can't help but notice... :c)

***

Even as a child, I found this deceptively simple song packed to be quite moving:


I *still* adore Schoolhouse Rock. And it seems I'm not the only one, either:


I still adore *this* album, too...

6 comments:

A on January 22, 2013 at 11:21 PM said...

Too bad he is already married! Otherwise it sounds as if he would have asked you out!

Cassidy on January 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM said...

lol Isn't that always the way?!?

I might add that a) it was night time, b) this area is poorly lit, and c) it's noisy, being off a busy four-lane highway. Also, I hadn't been able to shave for several days, in preparation for electrolysis (sigh). So I suspect this kind gentleman should seek out both eye *and* ear exams ASAP! :c)

Jenna on January 23, 2013 at 1:25 AM said...

He's got brothers!
Any of them single? You might still have pulled :-)

Stace on January 23, 2013 at 4:20 AM said...

:)

As my therapist kept telling me when I didn't believe what people were saying:

Learn to take a compliment!

;p (OK he told me to stop being so bloody English, so I paraphrased it to what he meant...)

Stace

Kelli Bennett on January 23, 2013 at 8:01 AM said...

Stace is 100% right. Learn to take a compliment.

That being said, you are still at a point mentally where you are just not expecting this sort of thing. I got it starting about a year and a half before I went full time. You are still adjusting to yourself and are thinking "I still have a lot of changes happening" so it hasn't fully settled into your head yet.

It will, in time it will feel second nature and right. We all reach it at a different pace.

The good news is that it is happening early, this is a good problem to have!

:D

Cassidy on January 24, 2013 at 2:29 AM said...

@ Jenna: I see you and April think along the same lines! Hmm... the gas station *is* a gold mine, being the last stop before an interstate highway. Not sure how I'd look in coveralls though...

@ Stace: Thank you for the advice. Your therapist sounds like mine! That's a good thing, btw. :c)

@ Kelli: I've always had a very difficult time accepting compliments. After I came out to S, she asked me why I always made a joke whenever anyone said something nice to me. I wasn't even aware I was doing it.

I have to constantly remind myself how young she is, because she is wise beyond her years. As one of my co-workers said today after a meeting with her, "Someday we're all going to be working for her."

I think you're correct: I just wasn't expecting this to happen so soon. I think I've mentioned that this all started immediately after I finally cried about a month ago. I don't think that is a coincidence.

I've made substantial progress in other areas too, which I will write about soon. I've been astonished at how calm I felt as I was taking steps I would never have dared imagine even a few short weeks ago. And none of this would be happening if I hadn't allowed those tears to come out that day though.

Thank you all again for your kind words. My therapist told me at my last session, "You're on a rocket ship, Cass, do you realize that? I don't think you do yet. But it's right for you. I would tell you if I felt it wasn't." I guess I'm still adjusting, as Kelli noted. So hang on for the ride, folks! :c)

Hugs to all of you!
Cass

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada