New England in Winter

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Just thought I would share some photos my sister-in-law T took yesterday. I also thought I might put up a few I took from Newport RI when we had a major snowstorm a few days before Christmas 2009. Hope these give you a feel for what New England looks like when the snow flies. :c)




First, here are my sister-in-law T's photos. She doesn't realize what a good photographer she is.

They live on a dead-end street; as a result, they are often one of the last streets to get plowed:


On the bright side, it means my nieces and their neighborhood friends get to spend the day sledding down the massive snowbanks. :c) It also means photos like this one of a neighbor's front yard:


Believe it or not, my brother is responsible for this wall of snow. He's behind it... somewhere. :c)


I kind of like the abstract shapes in this one:


This is just gorgeous:


The end result of my brother's labor:


The angle is deceptive, but that is a five foot pile of snow! T's caption: "I hate snow." lol

And on the sixth hour, he saw it was good, and rested:


***

Here are a few I took in Newport RI just before Christmas 2009. We got 25 inches:



A detail of a lamppost outside the Viking:


One of Newport's many bed & breakfast inns. If memory serves, they trail only San Francisco in terms of the number of B&Bs:


The Trinity Church, at the intersection of Church & Thames in downtown Newport. It was founded in 1698; the building you see was constructed between 1725-1726. 



You can see why I love Newport so much:






Here are a few shots of the mighty Atlantic, taken from First Beach:



Looking up Memorial Boulevard, towards downtown Newport:


This is the Clairborne Pell Bridge, in Newport Harbor:


And last but not least, I would be remiss if I didn't include a few shots of Manny the Wonder Cat, a/k/a His Majesty. He allows my friends B & R to live with him. Or at least that seems to be his view on things. Anyway, this was taken after he insisted on following me as I ventured out to take the shots you see above:


He quickly thought better of that decision, however, as you can see. Fortunately, he forgave me later that evening:


Not that he was going to stoop so low as to actually acknowledge my presence, of course; I was simply allowed to bask in the Gloriousness that is Manny.

Have a good day, everyone!

***

A seasonal song from Matt Pond PA:



5 comments:

Stace on February 11, 2013 at 1:53 AM said...

You have some really gorgeous shots there!

Stace

Cassidy on February 11, 2013 at 7:02 PM said...

Thank you, Stace! Coming from an accomplished photographer like you, that is quite a compliment. I'll pass that along to my sister, since there is no chance you could possibly be referring to mine! lol

== Cass

Calie on February 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM said...

Love the pictures! Love the Kitty.

Reminds me of *home*.

LL Cool Joe on February 12, 2013 at 9:48 AM said...

Wow how beautiful it all looks.

Cassidy on February 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM said...

@ Joe: Thank you! I may need to delay my photo essay on potholes and slush, lest I spoil everyone's illusions. ;c)

I like your blog, btw! April recommended it several times, and as usual she was right. (Don't tell her I said so, though.) It's an interesting read; thanks for sharing it!

@ Calie: Thank you, sweetie! I'm happy to report than HMM (His Majesty Manny) is doing fine, and is as disdainful of me now as he was pre-transition. Consistency, thy name is Manny... lol

== Cass

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada