Welcome to the Working Week

Thursday, December 19, 2013



Hi kids!

I am still working on a somewhat lengthy post about my transition to full-time last Friday. It's been a very busy week here (two snowstorms in three days, my manager being in town, Christmas shopping, and more), which has left me with little to no time to write.

However, I wanted to quickly post something about my first few days at work.

In a nutshell:

Wonderfully, exhilaratingly normal.

If that makes sense. lol

Much like my first day and first week spent as myself, I was surprised to find that it simply felt… right.

I was not the least bit nervous on Sunday evening.

Not even when I needed to race to the supermarket for a a literally last-second purchase of supplies to create a new gaff. (My old one, which served with distinction - or should that be indistinction, given its purpose? lol - chose this day to shred itself to bits when I inadvertently put it in the laundry.)

Nor was I nervous when I woke up on Monday morning.

I awoke at 6:00 AM, put on coffee, and proceeded through a trial run of my new routine, minus a few key steps.

I chose not not to attempt to curl my hair, simply because I hadn't had a chance to try it before. (I had to leave it alone for a few days after going strawberry blonde last Thursday.) I also wanted to see how it looked when I let it dry on its own. The verdict: wavy, but in need of some styling. ;-p)

I also decided not to attempt makeup. Quite simply, I am not at all confident in my skill level yet. I will write more about this in another post, but for now I will leave it at that. I have had no trouble going out without out it so far, amazingly enough, so I felt OK doing so at work as well.

Once I was done and dressed (and yes, I did wear a dress!), I drove to work. Again, it felt like my standard 45-50 minute commute, which I spent listening to the soundtrack to A Charlie Brown Christmas. I dislike the long commute, but listening to good music - and practicing my voice on the way home - at least alleviates some of the aggravation.

Upon arriving at the office, I didn't hesitate for a moment. I gathered my belongings - now including my purse (teal, of course) - and headed inside. I felt completely calm. Which felt pretty great at the same time. :c)

Without exception, everyone at the office treated me as they always do. As I joked to our HR rep last week, we tech writers are used to being shunned by our co-workers on a normal day, so I didn't see why this would change anything. lol

Actually, that isn't true at all. :D A number of folks stopped by to say hello, and / or offer their congratulations. (I would add that the cookies and candy canes I brought in may have played a part as well.),

Many others greeted me with warm smiles and greetings throughout the day as they encountered me in the hallways or saw me walk by. Even more amazing: everyone got the name and pronouns correct. (Even me, Stace! ;-p)

I really couldn't have asked for a better first day. I wound up spending the last few hours of the day in out main office for an impromptu Doc team meeting, which meant I got to say hello to the writers in that office I had not had a chance to catch up with personally. They were fine as well.

I stayed a bit later than I had planned to finish off a few items for a co-worker, then headed to the nearby Starbucks where I often stop on my way home.

For various logistical reasons, I hadn't been there for nearly two weeks, so they had no idea about my transition. I suspected they would be fine; they are exceptionally friendly, and we all love to talk baseball and hockey each time I visit.

When I walked in, the manager, B, who has become a good friend, glanced up at me while on his dinner break. As he does with every customer, regular or no, he greeted me with a smile. And then he added a polite "Good evening, miss." :D He had no idea who I was. I smiled back and said I was doing well, after which he resumed his dinner.

M, the barista working the register, also greeted me warmly. "Evening, miss. I love your dress!"

"Thank you," I replied, smiling widely.

"You're welcome," she said, smiling back. "What can we get - "

She stopped and looked at me for several seconds. Then she clamped her hand over her mouth.

"Well, look at you!" she said with a grin. "You look wonderful, hon! Oh, I just *love* your hair!"

I thanked her, my face no doubt the color *of* my hair at that moment.

B had looked up from his dinner again; a moment later, he too recognized me. He stood up immediately, came over - and hugged me. Yes, I teared up a bit. :')

"You look fantastic!" he exclaimed. "Congratulations! We've been wondering where you were the past few weeks. How long since - I'm sorry, what is it called when you do this?"

"Going full-time," I replied. "Last Friday was my first day. And today was my first day at work."

After congratulating me, we chatted for a few minutes about my new name, how folks at work took it, and how my family was handling it. I told them the truth, albeit without going into details.

B shook his head.

"All anyone needs to do is look at you and it's obvious how happy you are. I can see it, and I just met you, Cass! Why can't they?"

I shook my head.

"Well, you have our full support, right, M?"

"Absolutely," she added. "You're not just a regular; you're a part of the family here, hon."

I teared up again, and didn't care a bit.

"Thank you," I said. "You have no idea how much this means to me."

"Well, we have to stay on your good side, Cass," B said. "How else are we going to get the Bruins and Celtics scores every night?"

(Those are Boston's hockey and basketball teams, respectively.)

We all laughed.

"Well, it's always good to know people's real motivation," I replied.

Several new customers walked in, so B and M returned behind the counter.

"If  there's ever anything we can do to help, Cass, you just let us know," B said. "I mean it."

"Even if you just need someone to listen, hon," added M.

"Thank you both," I replied. "Now I almost feel bad I didn't leave a tip."

And thus ended my first work day as myself. :D


***

A few songs for my new status as a full-time working girl. (It sounds so wonderful to be able to say that!!!)

To begin, song one on side one of album one from Elvis Costello, 1977's My Aim Is True:


Such a brilliant album!

I am going to cheat now. I used the next two songs in a previous post, but they are both such great songs, and so appropriate for this post, that I'm going to use them again. (My blog, my rules!)

A way cool song from The Members, back in 1982:


Always loved the lead singer's sly grin and the twinkle in his eye as he sings about being a kept man. :c) I had this album (Uprhythm, Downbeat) back in the day, and wish I could find it on CD or MP3. Good times, good times…

This is from 2001's masterful The World Won't End, from the Pernice Brothers:


Isn't it great? The whole album is that good, and is just one gem in an impressive catalogue. The fact that I am fortunate enough to know Joe Pernice, the main force behind the band, only increases my admiration for them. Check them out; you won't regret it.

Enjoy!!!

7 comments:

Becca on December 19, 2013 at 3:36 PM said...

Way to go Cass.

Lovely to read, better to live it :)

Caroline on December 19, 2013 at 6:17 PM said...

Always a joy to hear that someone has taken the plunge only to find that we discover so much acceptance where we feared we might not...

Congratulations.

Cassidy on December 19, 2013 at 8:31 PM said...

@ Becca: It certainly is. :D

@ Caroline: It really is amazing. Now if only a few of my family members would follow suit... :-/


Thank you ladies! :-p

Hugs,
Cass

Stace on December 20, 2013 at 2:43 AM said...

Well done on not being nervous (and not signing the wrong name in an email!)

:D

Stace

A on December 20, 2013 at 11:14 AM said...

You're a natural sis!

Cassidy on December 21, 2013 at 12:22 AM said...

@ April: Thank you, sweetie. :c)

@ Stace: Thank you too, hon! As for my name… plenty of opportunities to come. ;c)

Hugs,
Cass

Calie on December 24, 2013 at 4:04 PM said...

I'm so glad it went well for you, Cass. So happy for you!

Calie xxx

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada