Shock and Awe

Saturday, April 20, 2013

I have two other posts ready to go, but I MUST post what happened less than an hour ago. This is a first - and a doozy. :c)



The weather here is spectacular. Yesterday was uncomfortably warm and humid for mid-April. But a cold front moved through overnight, and today is glorious: bright sunshine, blue skies, and highs in the low 50s (around 11.5 C for those of you across the pond).

I was out for a long walk today. I didn't get out at all yesterday, as I was glued to the TV set watching justice be served. So I was extra-motivated.

I headed out in my usual workout uniform for this type of weather: black jeans, sneakers, long-sleeve t-shirt, and baseball cap - in this case, a teal Red Sox hat. I have a teal Seattle Mariners cap too; I am a teal kinda gal, as you may have figured out by now. :c)

I had walked for about two and quarter hours when I stopped for my standard toffee-nut iced coffee at a Starbucks on my usual route back home.

Typically you can find a table late on a Saturday afternoon, but it was crowded today for some reason. So I grabbed a stool and pulled out my laptop to work on my previous post.

A gentleman, whom I would guess was around my age or a bit younger, sat down a few minutes later on the stool next to me. He noticed me looking at the coverage of the stirring pre-game ceremony the Red Sox held at Fenway Park (they're Boston's baseball team, for those who may not follow sports) before today's game, the first home game since Monday.

We chatted about that for several minutes, as well as the events of the past week. He asked about my hat, and about my shirt, which features the Mariners logo. He kidded me about how I need to only root for Boston while I am here in the heart of Red Sox Nation. :c)

The subject turned to baseball in general, and we had a nice discussion about the relative merits of Fenway Park and Safeco Field, and about the Mariners up-and-coming young players. (Yes, I am a confirmed baseball geek.)

After about ten minutes, his phone buzzed. He looked down and said his wife was waiting for him.

He stood up to put his coat on, and thanked me for helping him pass the time.

And as he turned to leave, he added this.

"It's always great to chat with a woman who knows her baseball!"

8-o

Now, I *did* have my glasses off; it is clear to even me now that this makes a difference.

But still, you could have knocked me over with the proverbial feather. Or the gust from one of the Mariner hitters striking out again. (Pick your own metaphor.)

I wasn't dressed as myself.

Although I guess I was androgynous, as my friend S has told me is the case when I'm not dressed as myself.

Nor was I conscious of my voice.

I was simply being myself.

I am still a bit stunned.

OK, really stunned.

But happy.

Very, very happy. :c)

***

I posted this classic from the Stones 1971 masterpiece, Exile on Main Street, before. But "Happy" seems like a perfect song at the moment:



I've always had a soft spot for Keith's voice. :c) This is one of my favorites.

According to the good folks at Wikipedia, the song was written (mostly by Keith) and recorded in four hours over the course of a single afternoon.

The basic track featured Keith on guitar, bass, and vocals. Producer Jimmy Miller played drums, with sax player Bobby Keys on maracas. Nicky Hopkins (piano) later added his part, as did Mick Taylor (guitar) and Mick Jagger (backing vocals).


 Here is another favorite written and sung by Keith, from their last truly great album, 1978's Some Girls:


Gotta love Keef!!!

3 comments:

Stace on April 21, 2013 at 2:25 AM said...

As people tell me, and I fail to listen, when will you start to believe what everyone is telling you :)

Stace

Becca on April 21, 2013 at 10:27 PM said...

How lovely!!!

Cassidy on April 21, 2013 at 10:55 PM said...

@ Stace: I guess it isn't just me then! lol Several friends wrote to me privately and said more or less what you are.

I think we should both ask for more self-confidence for our next birthday! :-p

@ Becca: Thank you, sweetie! It was for a very nice (albeit chilly) walk home. ;c)

Hugs,
Cass

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada