Today's Events in Boston

Monday, April 15, 2013

I have two light-hearted posts almost ready to go, but in light of today's horrific events at the Boston Marathon, I'm holding off on them.

As some of you may have surmised from my previous posts, I live in the Greater Boston area. I've gone to the Marathon and have stood almost exactly where the first bomb went off today.

My nephew C, whom I write about frequently, was at the Marathon today, although fortunately he was far from where the explosions took place.

My younger brother F works in law enforcement. As you might imagine, he was immediately called in, and has been on the scene since mid-afternoon. He likely will be there all night, and possibly longer.

I'm biased, as I come from a family with several members involved in law enforcement, but what struck me watching the coverage was how the emergency responders instinctively raced TOWARDS danger.

Yes, it's their job, but it's much more than that. A certain type of person has a calling to that type of career - and it IS a calling. You can't teach someone to put your own safety aside and try to help total strangers; it is something you're born with.

I know I couldn't do their job. But I certainly am grateful that they can.

I'm know we will all have the victims of this senseless attack in their thoughts.

But please spare a moment to think of the people like my brother - and my sister, who is an emergency room nurse - who put their lives on the line every day.

If we can take anything positive from a day of horror like that, let it be thanks for their selflessness and courage.


10 comments:

Becca on April 15, 2013 at 11:19 PM said...

So so cruel.

Cassidy on April 15, 2013 at 11:53 PM said...

Just read this from Patton Oswalt; he was far more eloquent than I:

https://www.facebook.com/pattonoswalt/posts/10151440800582655

Cassidy on April 16, 2013 at 12:07 AM said...

A link everyone can access:

http://deadspin.com/a-nice-thing-patton-oswalt-said-after-the-boston-marath-473059143

Jenna on April 16, 2013 at 1:44 AM said...

Cass, glad that your nephew was safe. Didn't catch the news about this until late yesterday evening. I hope that they catch whoever was behind this.

Stace on April 16, 2013 at 6:34 AM said...

As the others have said, I'm pleased that your family are all safe.

I think the emergency services are staffed by much under-praised people, who as you say, put their safety after the safety of others.

Quite how anyone can do something like this I have no idea...

Stace

Cassidy on April 16, 2013 at 5:56 PM said...


@ Jenna: Thank you. A number of students from his school were among the injured, sadly.

@ Stace: Thank you as well. My brother has essentially worked straight through since yesterday morning at 6:30 AM. He is still on duty as I write this, and will be for at least another two or three hours, if not longer. I'm sure tomorrow will be the same. And he is just one of thousands making the same sacrifice for the rest of us.

I cannot fathom the rationale behind an act like this either. How does killing an eight year old child and maiming his mother and sister - all in view of his young sister - serve ANY purpose whatsoever, besides breeding more hatred and pain? Terribly, terribly sad.

Thank you to everyone who has written, texted, or called privately to ask after my family. You know who you are; thank you.

Hugs,
Cass

Calie on April 16, 2013 at 10:23 PM said...

This one is very, very close to my heart. I, too, have been at that location too many times to count and I have been a part of many, many BAA events. I shed tears today when I saw the stories about the heroes and those killed and injured. I have yet to know if any of my many, many running friends or local friends were among the injured.

Cassidy on April 16, 2013 at 10:41 PM said...

I'm terribly sorry, Calie. I hope all of your friends are safe , sound, and with loved ones tonight.

I'm still numb, although what moved me the most today was a simple photograph:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151350711911766&set=a.381419756765.168260.39399781765&type=1

The solidarity shown here in the region and all around the world has been quite heartening.

You and your friends are in my thoughts, Calie. Be well.

Love,
Cass

bashashhazbaz on April 19, 2013 at 4:17 PM said...

cassidy, i appreciate you posting this when you did. i am glad your family is well and i hope your brother and sister have been able to get some rest but i fear your brother is probably VERY busy at the moment. it was a tragic event that should not have happened, but it makes me happy to see such an outpouring of help and love to your area for those who have been hurt or caused pain and suffering. i hope YOU are well cassidy. you truly are one bright spark in the darkness and i hope to see more of your "light" posts in the future. don't lose hope pretty lady!

Cassidy on April 21, 2013 at 1:31 PM said...

@ bashashhazbaz: Just put up a new post.

My brother is fine, I am happy to report. The officer who was wounded (whom my brother knows personally) will, from all indications, survive. If only that were the case for the officer these two cowards executed in cold blood.

I'm very proud of my brother, the officer who was wounded, and all of the officers and law enforcement personnel who did such heroic work.

I think Stephen Colbert (an American comedian, for those of you not from here) summed it up best:

"Clearly these people had no idea who they decided to pick on. For Pete's sake, Boston was founded by the Pilgrims - a people so tough they had to buckle their g**damn hats on!"

"And here's what these terrorists don't get: They attacked the *Boston Marathon*. An event that celebrates people who run for 26 miles on their day off until their nipples are raw - for fun!!!"

Couldn't have said it better myself. :c)

Thank you again!!!

== Cass

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada