The Agony of Da Feet

Monday, April 29, 2013

My dear friend Kelli just posted about a lovely moment she had while out jogging.

I will let you read it there; my words will not do hers justice.

I'm very, very happy for her. She worked long and hard to get where she is.

I had a slightly similar moment tonight.

But with a typical Cass-ian twist.

And if you guessed it involves an accidental, self-inflicted injury of some kind... well, give yourself a gold star - or gold band-aid! :c)





It was a glorious spring day here, so I decided to forego the gym after work.

Instead, I came home from the office and embarked on what turned out to be a lovely two-hour plus walk. (Unlike Kelli and Stace, there is no running for this girl, given my balky ankle.)

Once I came back home, I cooled down for a few minutes, then hopped in the shower while my dinner was heating up.

While drying off, I walked into the living room so I could catch the beginning of Monday Night Baseball.

I wasn't wearing my glasses.

Mistake #1.

Nor was I wearing slippers, or sandals, or any kind of protection for my poor, tortured feet and toes.

Mistake #2.

You can see where this is going, no doubt. :c)

Sure enough, I somehow manage to walk into something.

But not just *anything.*

Like, say, a small item I had dropped, or something along those lines.

No, that would be too easy.

In a classic case of Cass being Cass, it had to be something NO ONE else would ever miss.

Like, say, the largest object in the entire room.

Yup.

The couch.

And as I mentioned, of course I was barefoot.

I was hopping around in agony.

At the same time, I was uttering a surprisingly robust and varied string of expletives, albeit in a relatively feminine voice.

Then I suddenly caught sight of myself in a newly-purchased mirror I had propped against the wall. Essentially I could only see myself from the waist down.

I stopped and stared in wonder.

"Gee... I have *really* long legs!" I thought.

I'm not all that tall, but I *am* all arms and legs. At least, relatively speaking.

It was likely just a combination of the searing pain and squinting mightily to overcompensate for being hopelessly near-sighted without my glasses.

But it was still a nice feeling. Even if it was only an illusion.

Then the pain kicked in once more. And I started to hop around like an idiot again. :c)

My black and blue toe is almost worth that moment.

Almost. lol

Kelli, I'm glad your revelation was less painful!




***

Here's a fun song, and a memorable video, from 1982 and the early days of MTV, courtesy of Todd Rundgren and his pals in Utopia:


I guarantee that you will be humming this all day after hearing it - and that you will be happy to do so!

6 comments:

Stace on April 30, 2013 at 2:22 AM said...

Err... Ow!

If it helps I do that with walls - I'm known for walking into door frames in the office as I am not taking enough notice of where I am walking and concentrating on other things :)

Having longer legs is certainly an advantage, make the most of them :)

Stace

Well, make the most of them once you can use your feet again ;p

Cassidy on April 30, 2013 at 4:57 PM said...

Hi Stace!

Same here. No wall, curb, stoop, step, or otherwise stationary object is immune to an attack from Clumsy Cass. At least I don't discriminate in what I'm willing to collide with...

Upon further reflection, I've decided it isn't so much that I have long legs as it is that I have an upper torso that is vertically-challenged. lol

That said, I *am* all arms and legs, relatively speaking. And you know what that means: more objects are within range of Collidin' Cass!

Hugs,
Cass

Jenna on April 30, 2013 at 7:38 PM said...

I think its a plot by small items.
They hide so you can never find them when you want them but persuade larger items to move just enough as your passing to cause you an injury.

Cassidy on April 30, 2013 at 8:50 PM said...

Eyeing my ottoman with suspicion right now. Let's just see how often I wash my feet before I use *you* from now on!

== Cass

Jenna on May 2, 2013 at 9:13 AM said...

Ok, I formally apologise to both small and large items of furniture. There I've said it. Now please don't let very small but extremely heavy transformer style plugs fall 5 feet out of the top of my wardrobe onto my unprotected little toe.
It actually looks the same colour as the toe in the picture in your post Cass.
Of course its colour has nothing to do with the fact that I then carried on and did my planned bike ride and 10K run this morning!!!

Cassidy on May 2, 2013 at 10:43 PM said...

Oh dear, Jenna! That sounds awful!!!

Like you, I've been known not to let something as trifling as a broken bone get in the way of a workout.

For instance, I once played baseball for two hours on what turned out to be a fractured ankle.

And I've walked around for who knows how many weeks/months on a broken foot - twice!

I think we should call for a truce with the inanimate objects around us, lest we single-handedly bring our local emergency rooms to a halt!

Hugs,
Cass

P.S. Please take care of that toe, Jenna!!!

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada