Vignettes: Wearin' O' The Green

Tuesday, March 17, 2015


Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig, everyone! I thought I would share a brief St. Patrick's day story with you as you quaff green beer and engage in fisticuffs with random strangers on the street. (Or is that just me?)

This actually took place *last* St. Patrick's Day, but I think it falls within the statute of limitations on blog post eligibility. If not... well, it's my blog, dammit!

Anyway, I was sitting at my desk at work when one of my friends stopped by to say hello. 

Typically we chat about how our respective favorite baseball and hockey teams (Boston Red Sox/Seattle Mariners and Boston Bruins, in my case) fared the previous evening.

But not this day.

"Happy St. Patrick's Day," I said.

"And you too," he said. "I'm confused about something though."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Well, just look at what you're wearing," he said.

I looked down. Nothing seemed amiss.

"I'm sorry... what's wrong with it?" I asked, genuinely curious. "Did I spill something on it?"

He laughed. 

"No. That's not it."

"OK, I give up," I said, baffled.

"It's St. Patrick's Day," he said, gesturing at my teal dress, black tights, and boots. "Look at your red hair and all of those freckles. Of all people, shouldn't you know you're supposed to be wearing green?"

"Who says I'm not?" I replied instantly, struggling mightily to look as innocent as possible while keeping a straight face.

A turned bright red, then he began to laugh.

"Touche," he said, grinning, toasting me with his coffee.

"Sláinte," I replied, lifting my own coffee mug in return.

:D
***

The ideal song for today from one of Ireland's greatest bands - Thin Lizzy:


And of course I would be remiss for not including this classic:


Those twin lead guitars from Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson are absolutely killer. Makes this Irish lass proud of her heritage. :c)

16 comments:

Halle on March 18, 2015 at 9:37 AM said...

Perfect! So very Cass of you! :-D

Cassidy on March 18, 2015 at 8:35 PM said...

Someone else said the exact same thing today. lol I guess that means I'm a known smart**!

Thank you, hon!

Hugs,
Cass

Abigale's Airings on March 19, 2015 at 5:08 AM said...

Scéal maith Cass!

Unknown on March 19, 2015 at 10:28 AM said...

I don't get it?

Halle on March 19, 2015 at 10:54 AM said...

Right... such a good girl!

Abigale's Airings on March 19, 2015 at 11:29 AM said...

Thin Lizzy is "okay", but lassie you need to get back to your roots with "proper" Irish music like Clannad, De Dannan, The Chieftains, Planxty to name a few. Anois go bhfuil ceol !

Abigale's Airings on March 19, 2015 at 11:40 AM said...

Ok, Ok, just listened to "Whisky in the Jar" again for the umpteen time in me life, you be right a grand song will it be!

Cassidy on March 19, 2015 at 6:50 PM said...

I was, of course, referring to my socks. What did everyone *think* I meant? Sigh... the world can be so confusing for shy, innocent young lasses such as April and I...

== Cass

P.S. Abigale, I almost posted "She Moved Through The Fair" from Irish Heartbeat, the collaboration between The Chieftains and Van Morrison. But then "Whiskey in the Jar" popped into my head. Anyway, I love all of the bands you cited. :)

Abigale's Airings on March 19, 2015 at 7:33 PM said...

When you mentioned The Chieftains and Van Morrison I had a quick look at my collection and found "The Long Black Veil" where The Chieftains play together with various artists including Van Morrison, Sting, Mick Jagger, Tom Jones and Sinead O'Connor do you have it? It works well, here the Amazon link if not http://www.amazon.com/Long-Black-Veil-Chieftains/dp/B0018Q2DF0/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1426807449&sr=1-1&keywords=the+chieftains+van+mo

Halle on March 19, 2015 at 8:19 PM said...

Well of course... socks.. naturally... green socks with your tights! I love that look too. :-\

Halle on March 19, 2015 at 8:20 PM said...

Well of course... socks.. naturally... green socks with your tights! I love that look too. :-\

Cassidy on March 19, 2015 at 9:12 PM said...

I do have that album, Abigale, and yes, it's wonderful. I have quite a few of their albums. Wonderful as their more recent collaborative efforts have been, I love their early albums. There's something raw and haunting about them. I suppose the melancholy appeals to my Celtic roots.

Off to listen to some Chieftains as I unwind, I think. Thank you for the inspiration. :c)

Hugs,
Cass

Abigale's Airings on March 20, 2015 at 3:39 AM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abigale's Airings on March 20, 2015 at 3:44 AM said...

I should have known you had it, we never got round to chatting about music, maybe we should start at this time in our relationship! (hehe)
I see that Halle has appeared double above.
These holiday girls and happy hour! typical!

Cassidy on March 20, 2015 at 7:01 PM said...

Yes, from time to time Blogger goes on a comment rampage, randomly duplicating and deleting posts with no rhyme or reason. Hopefully it passes.

Music was my salvation for most of my life; still is, really. Along with comic strips, it was my refuge. I can't imagine life without out. I'm always up for a chat about it. :c)

Have a lovely weekend, hon!

Hugs,
Cass

Diana Nicole B on June 16, 2015 at 1:42 AM said...

i'm retyping this after y querky tablet changed screens on me aggghhh.
anyway i knw there was more tothat impish smile in the photos LOLO sort of the like the pixies readsy to create some devilery LOL
all kidding aside i am so jelious that you can write in Galic. i only know a few words taught by a former girfriend liveing in the usa teachg for a shor while.
music is the one language that is constant accept in some asain countries where they have sortof in between note s on our piano,. i have seen whole concerts where the musicians didn't speek each other languages accept via music.
my dad played more piano and told more jokes as his job became more stresfull.
and i knowof what a difference music makes in the icu units where it can bring down vitals like PB by 15 points. in the end on the last night i played some of my dad's piano tapes it it calmed him.
i loooove the sunday comics as at least i knowe they ae fiction vs the rewst of the stories in the newspaper.
thanksfor shareing my friend.
hugs diana

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada