And Lo, A Dissenting Voice Is Heard...

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Well, as it turns out, at least one reader is somewhat dissatisfied with the musical selections in my last post.

How dissatisfied, you ask? To the point that she has threatened to inflict physical harm on your humble, jazz-loving scribe.

Well, OK, not her personally, but her tough friends. ("I don't want to break a nail.")

I can only imagine that in her childhood said reader endured a trauma similar to that of Homer Simpson's least favorite neighbor, Ned Flanders:


In light of such hardship, I can only remove my beret, don yet more black clothing, and offer what small solace I can with some non-beatnik-related musical stylings.


First up: Delta Spirit, from one of my favorite albums last year:


They are a ferocious live band. Do catch them if they come to your neck of the woods. You won't regret it.

Moving back several decades, I'm currently reading a fascinating book about The Who called Won't Get Fooled Again, by Richie Unterberger. It chronicles their early Seventies activity, from their aborted Lifehouse multimedia project (which became Who's Next) through my personal favorite Who album, Quadrophenia.

This is the debut of "Won't Get Fooled Again," performed at the Young Vic in London in early 1971 as part of an open rehearsal the band held to test material for the Who's Next album. It's a killer version:


And to wind things up, let's stay in 1971 with ol' Neil Young, who decides to give a new song he'd just written a try: "Old Man."


Hmm...wonder whatever became of that one?

Anyway, hopefully the non-bongo enthusiasts out there will have their musical tastes sated with these tasty treats. If not, well, next time I'll just post John Coltrane's Ascension in its entirety. Here's a taste:


All kidding aside, I do like this quite a bit, and find it quite moving once I become acclimated to its considerable power. But it is not easy listening by any stretch. Still brilliant though.

That is all! Off to brush up on my mime skills, Daddy-O...

4 comments:

A on January 5, 2013 at 2:32 AM said...

Damn girl its on! You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind and you never mess with a rockabilly chick ;)

Cassidy on January 5, 2013 at 2:43 AM said...

Oh, really? You're Canadian; you can't HELP but be polite! What are you going to do, throw a leopard-skin toque at me?

Oh, forget it.. I can't even keep a straight face while I'm writing this! And I'd be like that even if i weren't zonked on Benadryl and cough syrup right now! :c)

== Cass

Faline on January 9, 2013 at 7:14 PM said...

Glad to see that you're still blogging and upbeat... seems like from the post I've read that things are going well for you. Will try to check in a little more often, although that's not saying too much... ;)

Cassidy on January 9, 2013 at 8:13 PM said...

Well, *hello* there, Missie! It is SO nice to hear from you!!! I think of you all the time, and am really happy you're doing well. Your post was lovely (as usual); please write more often! You have quite the gift.

The past year has been... interesting. lol But it's not stopping me; it's only making me *more* determined than ever. I'm going to get where I want to be, and nothing is going to stop me. Well, unless I a) cough up a lung (boy, is this flu bug nasty!), or b) freeze to death. All those years of me mocking my mother and sister for feeling cold all the time are coming back to haunt me. :c)

Again, it is *so* wonderful to hear from you! Don't be a stranger, sweetie!

Hugs,
Cass


P.S. Faline is a beautiful name, btw. :c)

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada