Vignettes: Passing Inspection

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I wound up taking a sick day today, alas.

But it wasn't *all bad, as it turned out. :c)


My self-induced stiff neck was still bothering me when I woke up - only it was joined by a splitting headache. Ugh.

Between the shooting pain in my shoulder and neck and the pounding, achy feeling behind my eyes, I quickly concluded this was a day best spent in bed.

And I stayed there - "for once," as R texted me tartly at one point. lol

After a day of applying a heating pad to my neck and drifting in and out of sleep, I finally stumbled out around shortly after sunset to pick up a few items for dinner.

Needless to say, I was not ready for the runways in Paris, to put it mildly. I threw on an oversized sweatshirt and a pair of jeans and ran a hand through my hair in an attempt for it to look less disheveled than usual.

I hadn't shaved for four days because of my electrolysis appointment and subsequent headache. We have made a lot of progress in 13 months, but I assumed I was, basically, in boy mode, more or less.

After picking up the items I needed, I decided to reschedule an appointment to replace a headlight on my car and arrange for an oil change as well, since they were right down the street.

I have been visiting this gas station regularly since I moved to my current location about a year ago. They took care of several significant repairs during that time after several other previously reliable shops did a less-than-stellar job.

To a man, they are unfailingly polite and helpful, thoroughly explaining my options when I needed those repairs. In short, I trust them.

The owner, an older gentleman around my father's age (70), was there when I walked into the office. Friendly as always, he immediately asked about the most recent repair to my car. It was parked up the street, so he clearly remembered the job, even though it was back in early June.

After assuring him the car was fine, I explained that I wanted to reschedule an appointment I had made a few days earlier with one of his sons that worked there. He asked for my last name, looked up the notes, and said Saturday would work fine.

I thanked him and started to head for the door.

"Oh, by the way," he said. "If by chance you get pulled over for the missing headlight, tell them you have an appointment to get it replaced over the weekend. A lot of the time that will be enough for them."

"That's a good idea," I replied, smiling. "Thank you."

"No problem, hon," he said affably as he headed into the garage. "We'll see you Saturday!"

:#)

It was a bit disconcerting, needless to say! lol But in no way was he being disrespectful; he was just being... himself.

And I guess I was too!

***

I was dressed in some of my Red Sox finery before tonight's ALCS game against Detroit:


Since the Sox are currently trailing the villainous Tigers (you know it's true, Kelli and Halle - admit it!), I can only conclude it is my fault for not being properly attired.

The solution: next time I wear my teal Red Sox hat *and* my hoodie! Victory will be ours, and evil will be defeated again!

***

The opening track to The Beatles 1965 folk-rock masterpiece, Rubber Soul, "Drive My Car":


I've always loved the slyly funny lyrics to this song; it's easy to miss the witty story tucked away inside!

4 comments:

A on October 17, 2013 at 11:09 AM said...

As I have been saying going full time will be a cake walk for you sis.

Nadine Spirit on October 17, 2013 at 3:12 PM said...

What a pleasant unexpectedness! The smallest things can mean the most. :)

Cassidy on October 18, 2013 at 11:02 PM said...

@ April: Aww... thank you, sweetie! :#) I sure hope so! R was lecturing me today about needing to improve my makeup skills. lol So much to learn, so little time...

@ Nadine: Thank you, hon! It was completely out of the blue - especially since I've been going there - in boy mode - for nearly a year.

And I have used my debit card (which obviously has my boy name as well) on multiple occasions too! Go figure...

Thanks again, ladies!

Hugs,
Cass

Unknown on October 22, 2013 at 11:40 AM said...

Having a stiff neck is more painful than breaking your ankle. The reason is that this condition keeps you from moving freely. But I wish you had a therapy. Pain on the neck could mean that there's something wrong with your nerves or joints.

Shan @Brandon Chiropractor

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada