Musings: Independence Day(s)

Friday, July 4, 2014

It's Independence Day here in the States.

It's a day to celebrate freedom.

I'm happy that all of my days are now independence days.

No longer do I struggle with the burden of pretending to be someone I was not, and never would be.

And after a bruising, painful year, I am learning to move forward and discover who I really am, rather than trying in vain to fulfill expectations imposed by others, even if they did so with good intentions.

I have worked extremely hard to get to where I am today. I'm worn out, physically and mentally.

But unlike in the past, this exhaustion isn't accompanied by the resignation that it will always be thus.

I know now that this isn't true.

So for a while, I'll rest.

Because I now know I have the opportunity to decide what I want from life.

And to then strive to make it a reality.

As a promising young author once wrote, that's really the most you can ask for:

The opportunity to be yourself, and to live your life to its fullest potential.

I am going to do my best to do just that.

Happy Independence Day, everyone. :c)

***

Messing around a bit with my not-quite-long-enough-to-wear-up hair today because it's so humid here:


I'm not sure if I like the look or not. But it's more comfortable, and comfort trumps all. Including vanity. :D

***

For today's musical selection, we begin with a Dave Alvin-penned track from X's final album, See How We Are - "4th of July":


Next is "Almost Independence Day," from Van Morrison's 1972 masterpiece St. Dominic's Preview:


And to round things out, a haunting, atmospheric track from U2's 1984 album The Unforgettable Fire:


2 comments:

Unknown on July 7, 2014 at 4:19 PM said...

Give Me Cha Cha Heels or Give Me Death

Cassidy on July 7, 2014 at 10:16 PM said...

Hmm... I gather your copy of Common Sense came festooned with rubies?

== Cass

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada