Cassidy Coughs Up a New Post

Friday, May 13, 2016

Hi everyone! I'm sorry for the extended absence, especially in light of my previous post promising an imminent follow-up. I do have a good excuse, however... honest!

I'm afraid I've been down for the count for nearly two full weeks with the flu. Yes, again, believe it or not. I had a particularly nasty bout with it for nearly a month back in December/January. I was hoping I'd be spared my usual March follow-up visit, but alas, it was simply biding its time.

On the bright side, I didn't get sick until I had just about finished work for the current project at work. It's been a very busy six months. I was also dealing with the fallout I've alluded to in my personal life as well.

I suspect my immune system held off the bug until I could finally take a bit of time. This has happened in the past when I've completed a major project, so it would make sense. I haven't been quite as sick as I was around the holidays, fortunately, but I'm still coping with a persistent cough and seemingly endless congestion.

That said, today was the first day in some time I felt as if I was improving. I'm hoping with the weekend imminent (and good weather as well - it's been a particularly raw and damp spring here in New England) that I can get past this. I am chomping at the bit to go for a run. But I've learned my lesson - better to wait an extra day or two than set off a relapse that puts me right back where I started.

OK, time for this girl to get some rest. In the meantime, here's a quick shot to give you some idea of my current cadaverous pallor:


OK, I really *am* paler than usual at the moment... but not cadaverous like this! Joking aside, isn't the light in this shot wild? Pretty cool, eh?

***

Like many of us, I suspect, I've been listening obsessively to A Moon Shaped Pool, Radiohead's new album. I'm a huge fan, so my opinion is admittedly biased, but I think it's absolutely brilliant. If you haven't already, check out the video for "Daydreaming." The song and the video are stunningly
beautiful:


And from back in the day, here's their ferocious performance of "Paranoid Android" at the 1997 Glastonbury Festival:


Man, are Jonny Greenwood and Ed O'Brien monster guitar players or what?!? I love their more experimental albums, but I know I can put on OK Computer and (particularly) The Bends when I need an energy boost on a run. :c)

And to prove a great song is endlessly adaptable, here are Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings with a mesmerizing cover of "Black Star":


Dave Rawlings is the best guitarist I have ever seen. Period. And I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan. :c)

Finally, for comparison, here's the original, from 1995's The Bends:


Songs like this show why they frequently merit comparison with Pink Floyd at its most majestic. Just stunning.

Off to bed here. Have a nice weekend, all, and I'll do my best to get to posting weekly again!



4 comments:

Stace on May 13, 2016 at 12:47 AM said...

When the flu hit me earlier this year it totally hit me for 6 (nice UK English reference there...) and stopped me working out for more than a month, stopped me drinking coffee for more than a week (Seriously, I do not stop drinking coffee! And even now I can only drink half the amount I used to!) and am still not back to 100% fitness.

Hope this bout leaves you in better condition!

Groetjes,
Stace

PS Yes, the lighting in that picture is amazing, and the shine on your hair makes a wonderful contrast!

Ashley W. on May 13, 2016 at 1:39 PM said...

Feel better soon Cass! ♡

Calie on May 14, 2016 at 11:56 AM said...

I hope you feel better soon, Cass. It seems like you have to go through this every year. Girl, you need to move out West!

You look just gorgeous in the picture. Love the hair. Love the lighting!

Calie xxx

Tess_Williams on May 20, 2016 at 5:48 PM said...

I Love Radiohead too! The new album is awesome!! <3

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada