Let's Face It

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Hello all - hope everyone had a lovely weekend. Just a brief post about the past week in my corner of the world. As it turns out, my face was the center of quite a bit of activity, albeit somewhat unplanned. :c)




On Monday I had a follow-up appointment for the procedure on my right cheek back in early March. The surgeon was very pleased with how well it was healing, particularly since he'd had to make a significantly larger incision that he originally thought.

After performing the examination, he offered to check whether he could give me a laser treatment to help reduce the scar's visibility. While it was not particularly noticeable (and barely noticeable at all when I wear foundation and concealer), I said sure.

As it turns out, he was able to squeeze me in a half-hour later between other appointments. As I sat down, he began to explain how laser treatments work, then stopped and laughed.

"Wait, why am I telling *you* how it works?!?" he said with a smile. "You get this done every week! [Not entirely true; I have electrolysis treatments every week; laser treatments are less frequent.] Heck, we should hire you to explain it to our other patients; you know it better than we do!"

I laughed, replying that my manager L likely might have something to say in the matter. :c) With that, he fired it up, and 30 seconds later it was over. He noted there would be some bruising, and indeed there was:



When I arrived at the office, I joked with anyone who asked that this is what happens when you ask to take a vacation day. Then I decided it would be best to wear my hair down for the rest of the week, rather than force others to see what was a rather prominent, less-than-pleasant bruise.

Fortunately, it's healing quite well, just as my dermatologist promised. He said by the time my next appointment arrives in August, the scar will be nearly invisible. All in all, it's a huge improvement over how it looked pre-surgery.

As it turns out, I wound up getting my first professional manicure in nearly six months later in the week. I hadn't planned it being so long, but between illness, a busy work schedule, and some ill-timed nail breakages, it took that long to get them done.

It was totally worth it, as M worked her standard magic with them. (And ironically enough, a friend asked me if I knew I had "wonderful nail beds," on Friday, which made me laugh, since M had said the very same thing the first time she saw me!)

On Friday evening, I had my hair done, as it had been two months since my last visit. It hardly seemed possible, but there it was. J also worked *her* standard magic.

I was there for nearly three hours (she was helping another stylist, who was tied up with a last-second emergency), but I didn't mind at all. I love being at the salon, just as I love getting my nails done.

I'll have to write a post sometime about how much I love the time I get to spend on these seemingly mundane rituals - rituals that I spent most of my life denying I would ever experience. Now that I can, and knowing how hard I've worked to get to the place where it's possible, I treasure those moments.

To round out the week, I had my eyebrows waxed on Saturday morning while I had new tires installed on my car. (It was pricey, but my RAV4 has never caused me a moment of trouble in the nearly 18 years I've owned her, so routine maintenance like this is money totally well-spent.)

It had been six months since my eyebrows had been waxed too, so it took quite a bit longer than my usual in-and-out treatment. But that was OK, as we got to chat and catch up a bit. Given how much has been going on with me since I last saw her, she remarked that I need to keep coming back so she isn't left hanging any longer than necessary. :-p

I was very pleased with the results, as I always am. I feel very fortunate to be able to work with people who are not only outstanding at their jobs, but are genuinely nice as well.

To wrap up, I thought I'd end with a shot I took following my run this afternoon. It wasn't particularly warm here today (62F/16.6C), but there was some humidity in the air. I could tell because once I let me hair down, the curls were out in force:



I am amazed at how long my hair is getting! It seemingly took forever, but it's been totally worth the wait. J, as she does every time I come in to get the color done, anxiously asked, "We're not cutting it today, are we?" And as always, I assure that no, I'm going to let it grow as long as it can possibly get, which always makes her happy. But not as happy as I am; the wait has been totally worth it. :c)

Until next time... have a great week all!

***

On a sad note, the legendary Guy Clark, one of the great Texas songwriters, passed away last week at the age of 74 after a lengthy illness. I was fortunate enough to see him perform a number of times, and it was always a privilege.

His 1997 album Keepers, a live album consisting of versions of some of his best-loved songs, has a place near and dear to my heart. I listened to it obsessively that summer - the same summer that, thanks to my dearly missed friend R, I  now see marked the beginning of my journey of acceptance that led me to where I am today.

The last time I saw Guy Clark, I was able to meet him briefly after the show. While he had a somewhat gruff manner on stage, it was clearly a front. No one could write songs of such depth and tenderness without a huge heart.

I thanked him for his music, and told him how much Keepers had helped me get through a difficult period in my life.

"Thank you so much, darlin'," he said in his inimitable Texas drawl, a warm smile creasing his face. "That's what makes all of this worthwhile."

Thank you, Guy. And rest in peace.

No comments are needed for these songs; they speak for themselves. Enjoy...





4 comments:

Jenna on May 23, 2016 at 1:02 AM said...

Wow, the garage I go to for new tyres is quite limited. Just does tyres and car repairs. I'll have to ask next time I go if they've thought of moving into beauty treatments. I'm sure that they can do some hot oil ones :-)

LL Cool Joe on May 23, 2016 at 3:10 AM said...

Ouch that wound looks painful, I'm so glad that the scar will fade. You girls have the benefit of having your hair long to cover up unsightly marks etc. I hate going to the hairdressers, and I need to go every 3 weeks!

Becca on May 27, 2016 at 7:23 AM said...

Hope the recovery continues to go well.....

Cassidy on May 29, 2016 at 1:51 AM said...

Thank you, everyone.

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada