Cass's Glasses Redux (a/k/a The Vision Thing, Plus Songs for a Summer Weekend)

Friday, July 26, 2019

Happy Friday everyone. Just a brief post to share a few things while I work on several longer posts (honest!). 

First, I thought I'd share a pic of me wearing my new glasses. Well, relatively new; I got them in late March (yes, I need to post way more often): 


This is my day-to-day business look, for better or worse ;c) - other than when I remember to a) bring my contacts and b) actually put them in (spoiler alert: not very often - ditziness still reigns, alas). Anyway, I like the new spectacles quite a bit. 

This is also how I usually wear my hair (also for better or worse). :c) For some reason most of my pictures show me with it down; in reality, though, I typically wear it up, simply because I don't want to get up at the crack of dawn and spend an hour-plus trying to tame it. (First world problems, I know... :c))

I also thought I'd share a few songs from two albums I've really been enjoying this year. Both of these albums have one thing in common: Jason Isbell, who both produced both records and played on them with his band, the 400 Unit (which features his wife Amanda Shires, moonlighting from her solo career).

First up is Strand of Oaks, who released several terrific albums the past 5-6 years that I somehow missed out on completely. Fortunately I'm making up for lost time, starting with with this year's Eraserland album. Here's a clip of his performance of "Ruby" on Stephen Colbert's show. In addition to Mr. Isbell (lead guitar) and Miss Shires (fiddle), his band features several members of My Morning Jacket, and, on drums, Will Johnson, of Centro-Matic/South San Gabriel. Great stuff:


The second album is one of my two favorite albums of 2019 so far (along with Bruce Springsteen's remarkable Western Stars), Josh Ritter's Fever Breaks. I rarely comment on politics online, but "All Some Kind of Dream" captures how I feel about America the past three years under the Orange Sh*tgibbon - albeit with far more eloquence (and much, much less profanity) than I am capable of. I think in years to come - assuming we still have a functioning democracy, that is - this will be remembered as one of the songs that sum up the horror/sh*t show. Be sure to listen to the lyrics on this one:


I'll end with another song from Fever Breaks, "Old Black Magic." I usually post live performances of songs in my posts, but Jason Isbell uncorks a tremendous, blistering, minute-plus guitar solo at the end of the studio version that is so smoking-hot I just had to share it. Play this one LOUD:


That will do it for now. Look for several longer posts in the near future (again, honest!). Have a good weekend, everyone...

4 comments:

Calie on July 28, 2019 at 5:31 PM said...

Hair up or hair down, you always look great Cass!

Love the music.

Right now, I'm rediscovering Jenny Lewis. Great folk/country/rock and another sometimes redhead. If you feel like rocking out, listen to Red Bull and Hennessy.

Calie xx

Cassidy on July 28, 2019 at 6:53 PM said...

Thank you, Calie! And thanks for the reminder about Miss Lewis. I've been a fan since the Rilo Kiley days. She played the Newport Folk Festival last year and back in 2014; you can watch/listen to the 2014 set here:

https://www.npr.org/2014/07/21/333725355/jenny-lewis-live-in-concert-newport-folk-2014

Enjoy!

Hugs,
Cass

Calie on July 28, 2019 at 7:17 PM said...

Oh Yes! Rilo Kiley...that's what I meant when I said "rediscover". Remember Silver Lining? I had not heard much of her solo career until I heard Red Bull and Hennesy on Sirus XMU. I just love her vocal range and I love the lead guitar in this Kimmel clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaacljrbM0U

Can't help it, Cassie Girl....the indie rock DJ in me is coming out again....

Cassidy on July 28, 2019 at 9:32 PM said...

That's a good one. :c) WXRV, the local station I listen to the most (which is excellent, especially for commercial radio), plays her, but she's in the regular rotation on WMVY (Martha's Vineyard/Newport RI), which I listen to online. I'm sure it's because she's played the Newport Folk Festival a number of times.

Gotta dig out the first two Rilo Kiley albums tomorrow night... :c)

== Cass

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada