Vignettes: The Lighter Side Pt. II

Saturday, July 13, 2013


Greetings and salutations, one and all!

I am working a post with some big news, which I had been hoping to write last night.

Instead, I came home late from work (followed by a stint at the gym), ate a slice of pizza, and then fell asleep watching the Red Sox defeat Oakland out on the Left Coast. 

I awoke with a start, mid-drool, at 3:00 AM, with half my face imprinted with the corduroy from my backrest. 

(And before some smart aleck (read: Kelli and/or April) asks: no, I will *not* be posting pictures!)

Instead, I *will* share another quick story about work, this one involving my friend D.


I have written before about D.

The more I get to know D, the more I like him. 

And the more I admire him.

I will be writing more about him in the months to come. 

He is one of those people who comes into your life for a reason. 

As stressful as this job has been, and continues to be, I have been beyond fortunate to count S, RW, B, L, and now D as people I consider not only dear friends, but people from whom I have learned a great deal about myself, and how to conduct myself with honor and compassion.

But to bring this back down to earth... a brief story about D that proves the old adage that we often know things before we even realize we know them!

S has told me that on several occasions D has come by my desk looking for me after I had left for the day - and referred to me as "she." He catches himself... but he has done it more than once.

D is absolutely brilliant; not simply book-smart, but also remarkably perceptive. I have learned a great deal from chatting with him about work, and never cease to be amazed at his ability to make me look at something seemingly familiar in a way I never had before.

Perhaps he is doing that, unconsciously, with me. :c)

Why do I say that?

Last week he came by my desk to tell S and myself about his search for either a new apartment or condominium closer to the office.

S was attending a meeting, so he hopped on my desk and shared photos of his most recent possibilities.

Suddenly he stopped speaking and frowned.

"What happened to your shirt, [my boy name]?" he asked.

I looked down and saw what he meant. One whole side of the loose white polo shirt I wore (the better to hide the girls) had a reddish tint.

I later determined the culprit:

It was the red thermal bag I use to carry my lunch.

We had one of those patented summer cloudbursts as I was walking into the office that morning. Before I had my umbrella up, the strap on the bag apparently got wet enough to stain my shirt.

D did not know this, though.

Instead, with his patented impish smile, D said, "I know what caused this, my friend!"

"Oh?" I said.

"Yes," he said. "It was your girlfriend, right?"

I grinned in return and assured him that most definitely was NOT the cause.

D then leaned closer to me, his smile even wider.

"I see!" he said, his voice soft. "So then... it must be your liptstick, correct?"

With considerable effort, I managed to contained my laughter.

Barely. :c)

I looked at him, completely deadpan.

"We all have our secrets, D."

:D

***

In case anyone is wondering, I took the photo at Fort Adams in Newport RI at sunset, several years ago.

And speaking of lipstick and sunsets... here is a gorgeous, moving song from John Hiatt's masterpiece, 1987's Bring the Family:


You can see why BTF is one of my Desert Island Discs. 

BTW, that is the amazing Sonny Landreth on the breathtaking slide guitar. He is a superb songwriter in his own right, and well worth checking out. Here he is collaborating with another of my favorite guitarists: Mark Knopfler:


Sigh... this is utter guitar bliss...

5 comments:

Halle on July 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM said...

Hmm,interesting conversation with D coming to an office near you when you go fulltime!
We expect a full report young lady.:-)

Cassidy on July 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM said...

lol There are going to be a few of them, I predict!

My manager has offered a week's pay if she gets to eavesdrop on a select one or two. (I told her to make it a week of *her* pay and we have a deal!) :D

Hope the camping trip was fun and insect-free, Miss H!!!

Hugs,
Cass

Calie on July 15, 2013 at 9:47 PM said...

Aww....I would have loved to see those pictures!

Calie on July 15, 2013 at 9:53 PM said...

Cass, I totally missed the bulk of this post upon first reading it. Stupid me....I have to click to read the whole post! I wonder how many of your other posts I have missed that way?

There are "admirers" in our world. Even I have been caught off-guard by more than one. In one case, it was down-right scary. I do hope that D is everything he appears to be.

Calie xxx

Cassidy on July 15, 2013 at 11:47 PM said...

Hi Calie!

OMG.. most of my posts are like this, I'm afraid! I am a chatty Cassie! So sorry. :(

To be honest, a few times you would ask me something, and I would be scratching my head thinking "I could *swear* I posted about that..." lol No wonder! Not sure what might be worth going back to read (if anything)...

Oh, and about D: nothing at all to worry about. He is an absolute sweetheart, believe me. Part of it is that English is his second language, and at times his sense of humor gets lost in the translation - literally! If you are there, it is clear when he is teasing, as he was here. :c)

Hugs,
Cass

P.S. No one will *ever* see those photos, I can assure you! :D

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada