Working Girl!

Saturday, March 10, 2012


As you may have guessed from the title, I'm happy to report that, as of the week after next, I will be gainfully employed again. Yea!!!


It's been a looonnnggg six-plus months, that's for sure. I love the area where I currently live, but there are very, very few jobs here for my profession. Or any profession, really. There have only been six jobs posted within an hour-long commute since my previous job went kaput, and half of those were closed before anyone was hired.

To complicate matters further, I was halfway through my lease when the layoffs came (my entire team was let go, for reasons beyond our control), so the timing was far from ideal. Worse, I have some, shall we say, less-than-courteous downstairs neighbors. And that's being very, very kind. I won't miss them one bit.

Anyway, that will soon be behind me. While I was hoping to get back to the West Coast sooner rather than later, this is a more-than-acceptable consolation prize. It's a good company, and the people seem very nice. Even better, I'll finally be making a decent salary again, so I'll be able to start saving for my upcoming expenses.

I'll also get a second stint in the town in which I lived before my previous move West. I'm less than fond of the area overall - too many less-than-happy memories - but I genuinely liked this town. That will make the upcoming stint quite a bit more than tolerable.

So, a good day for sure. And as a friend pointed out, with a little luck this will be the last interview I ever have to do in boy mode! My fingers are crossed. :c)

***

A few work-related videos, in honor of finally escaping unemployment purgatory.

First up, "Working Girls (Sunlight Shines)," a GREAT song from a criminally-underrated band, the Pernice Brothers:



Here's an oldie but a goodie from the early days of MTV (1982, to be exact): "Working Girl," from The Members:



And who better for a work-related song than Bruce (really digging the new album too)?


Last but not least, an animated classic, "Get a Job," from our friends up North at the National Film Board of Canada. This is absolutely hysterical!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Grunge Girl Blogger Template Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template
Girl Vector Copyrighted to Dapino Colada